Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony Alpha A77 II announced
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interc...2-body-kit

Never though I ever wish to go for a semi-pro model, but this one provides stabilized EVF image; it could change things. I missed this capability since Dimage A2. It will work with my 500mm AF Reflex - now it's game-changing.

Well, not now, but when my A55 breaks.

Moreover, at least for the cameras I own (A100 and A55), SSS works with M42 lenses attached through a chipped adapter, and with stabilized EVF it makes even more sense.
Oleg, unless your 500mm lens never hunts, the electronic limiter is another game changer...

Guys,

Something is a little unclear for me. If anyone can offer clarification.

Somehow, I thought the A6000 with its dense AF dedicated pixel grid would be pioneering the new line of SONY APS-C to come.

I watched a few A6000 tracking videos that were nothing short of impressive.

With Sony releasing a new SLT with dedicated AF sensor chip, I'm not really sure I understand where this dedicated sensor chip keeps advantages over the A6000 approach ?

Anyone ?
There's no advantage over the A6000 as far as the chip is concerned.

However, the PD-AF in the A77 II isn't sensor based but uses a conventional DSLR approach instead.

In low light this is still a magnitude better than anything mirrorless for instance.

Bit confuse I thought the fuji was -e 2 or -e 3; is the a77 auto focus that much better in low light (I know tracking et all is a different matter but for single shot) ?

There can be a number of reasons for PDAF still being usually faster to focus.Including

1. Its been around since 1985 and so has the benefit of a longer development time in both hardware and software suppoort.

2. PDAF is simpler in terms of computer processing power,it gets to rough focus and  then ( somewhat ) refines focus. CDAF is a continuous focus system off the sensor - more accurate but each seperate focus attempt will add time to the process and all these focus attempts requires more computing power which is also of course more battery intenive.

So CDAF to be fast requires each focus adjustment to be performed at a faster rate which requires more powerful and more precise focus motors. It has the advantage of being more accurate and eliminates the front / back focus problems with lenses but is still a work in progress.

Quote:There can be a number of reasons for PDAF still being usually faster to focus.Including

1. Its been around since 1985 and so has the benefit of a longer development time in both hardware and software suppoort.

2. PDAF is simpler in terms of computer processing power,it gets to rough focus and  then ( somewhat ) refines focus. CDAF is a continuous focus system off the sensor - more accurate but each seperate focus attempt will add time to the process and all these focus attempts requires more computing power which is also of course more battery intenive.

So CDAF to be fast requires each focus adjustment to be performed at a faster rate which requires more powerful and more precise focus motors. It has the advantage of being more accurate and eliminates the front / back focus problems with lenses but is still a work in progress.
The A6000 uses PD AF (on image sensor PD AF).

Only downside to on sensor PD AF is the noise in low light. 
The A6000 uses hybrid AF, which a combo of contrast and phase detect AF.

I haven't seen much evidence that on sensor PDAF pixels negatively impact low light ISO performance to any noticeable degree. DXO results seem to confirm this.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/S...32_808_737
Quote:The A6000 uses hybrid AF, which a combo of contrast and phase detect AF.

I haven't seen much evidence that on sensor PDAF pixels negatively impact low light ISO performance to any noticeable degree. DXO results seem to confirm this.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/S...32_808_737
DXO stuff does not interest me. You misunderstood my post, by the way. Downside to PD AF performance. I was not talking about image anything....