Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lens Advice - Canon 550D
Hello all,

I am a relative newbie and am thinking about graduating up from the stock lens I purchased when I bought my camera (18-135mm 3.5-5.6f). I also have a 50mm 1.8f which I use for portraits. I am thinking of getting a new and affordable lens but am not sure what to look for.

What I'd like is better looking photos with increased depth of field (if possible) and perhaps something lighter.

I would generally use this as a walk-around lens and for traveling.

Welcome some suggestions!
Quote:Hello all,

I am a relative newbie and am thinking about graduating up from the stock lens I purchased when I bought my camera (18-135mm 3.5-5.6f). I also have a 50mm 1.8f which I use for portraits. I am thinking of getting a new and affordable lens but am not sure what to look for.

What I'd like is better looking photos with increased depth of field (if possible) and perhaps something lighter.

Do you perhaps mean decreased depth of field? You can increase DOF by closing down the aperture.
Quote:Hello all,

The 18-135 is actually pretty good.  If you want something lighter you will end with less range.

If you want more field-of-view (I suspect this is what you meant), the Canon EF 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS comes into mind. You'd sacrifice some tele range though and it's just as "heavy" (although the 18-135mm is really quite light weight).

Alternatively just add a true ultra-wide lens like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

Tips to buy second lense for Canon:-

My review here about the tips to buy lense:

Play with the kit lens for a while. Then take a look at the photos you took, and find the ones you like. Make a list of things you like or don't like about the photos.

If most of your photos end up near the same focal length, or you keep saying "I wish the background was more blurred" you should get a prime at that focal length. Ex: EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

If you look at the photos and say "I wish I had a wider view." you might want a wide angle zoom. Ex: 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

If you like taking photos of things far away, or like a flatter perspective in your shots a telephoto zoom might be appropriate. Ex: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

If you really like traveling light, and accept the compromises in the design, a superzoom could be good for you. When I was first getting started I borrowed a superzoom for a week and had a lot of fun wandering around town taking wildly different types of photos. Ex: EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Have fun with your new camera. Smile

The Weeping Angels were always established that they couldn't move while observed, which was a bit of genius when you realize that they can't move while you do my assignmentthe viewer, was observing them. This episode (Flesh and Stone) initially seemed to break this rule. While they were unobserved within the show, we, the viewers, can clearly see them move.
(07-08-2014, 06:33 AM)leslieb123 Wrote: If you like taking photos of things far away, or like a flatter perspective in your shots a telephoto zoom might be appropriate. Ex: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

If you really like traveling light, and accept the compromises in the design, a superzoom could be good for you. When I was first getting started I borrowed a superzoom for a week and had a lot of fun wandering around town taking wildly different types of photos. Ex: EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

I think with 18-135 you are well set, what is lacking ?? is quality, low light ? or coverage ? for coverage you need wider or longer ?
Just buying another lens won't improve your photography IMHO, try investing in something else: a reflector, extension tube for macro, a polarizer, some lighting equipment etc...
As for the lenses especially DON'T GET 18-200,  quality wise it is inferior to 18-135, it has very little extra reach that won't be relevant anyway and it's expensive.
55-250 is is a very good lens but I doubt you need that little extra reach