Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media)
Toni,

A word of warning about RAID. As someone mentioned here, the implementations are often controller dependent. 

Also beware that a RAID rebuild might be costly in time. Exposing your data to further risks and to high disk activity for litterally days in some cases. RAID was way too much advertised as "easy" lately and it just isn't. People will get drives that aren't made for it, ... the controller implementation is bad/poor... so you can end up with a LOT of data that becomes unmanageable.

Actually, after having played myself with RAID 6 now for a year, getting a UPS for it etc, ... I realize RAID should be seen more as a solution to keep a system running (none of short return to operation, with live data set) than a solution to keep data over a long time. Regardless of the highest chosen level of redundancy & error control.

Never forget that a UPS and a RAID 6 on 5 disks with 2 disk failure redundancy will do nothing against fire, flood, theft, ... It gets to the point private people over invest (I did) in this while the solution remains the good old 101 : duplicate over different "state" & "places" : HD, CD/DVD/Tapes(haha), ... AND the cloud.

I'm surprised nobody mentionned the "cloud" ?

My current strategy is this :

1-SD card will hold data as long as it can.

2-SD card content is copied on the NAS storage-RAID.

3-NAS storage is synchronized with Amazon Web Services - "Glacier" (consider Google, ...). I'm not bothered by "amazon will steal ownership of my photos". It's not the case.  It costs me $6 a month (600 GB of data). Beware of the invoicing system. The more you want this system to be available(which absolutely isn't the point of it), the more you pay.

Data has to be at least on 1+2 or 2+3 and often is 1+2+3.

There are a lot of cloud solutions around, some of them actually run on Amazon.

In short toni-a,

I'd get a simple external harddrive, something like twin drive 2x4TB in mirroring (RAID 1), another 4TB you keep elsewhere (or vice versa) and a Cloud subscription somewhere. And then discipline, discipline, discipline...

Messages In This Thread
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media) - by Sylvain - 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM