Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina lens service in Europe
Good evening,

A question for photozone forum members - I would like to switch to "full frame" digital camera, my first selection being Canon's EOS 6D. I have a "vintage" (13 years old) Tokina AT-X 28-70/2.8  that I used it during my film days and was quite happy with it. I know it might not be the best lens for a full frame digital camera but it should do, at least until I get something better.

The lens in question has one weak point, well known from it's film days. The lens is very soft when used towards the tele end, specially at wide apertures, even with a APS-C camera like Canon EOS 20D. I find is almost useless when taking portraits / close-ups,... I am not sure whether this is back / front focus issue or decentering defect.

Should I have the lens checked (and repaired) by an independant shop or should I have it serviced by Tokina (or whoever does it in their behalf)? Any recommendations for a good service facility in Italy, Austria or Germany - based on first hand experience? Cost is not the main issue here since I would like to "salvage" the lens and put it to use.

I would like to thank you in advance for your kind help.

Have a great day,

Peter

I can't help you with advice about service, but the lens may actually be a little *better* on full frame at the tele end; on APSC you are relying on effectively 'magnifying' a portion of the lenses useful image circle.

Hi !

Tokina Europe is based in the Netherlands.

When I sent a lens, they replaced it with another and swapped the serial number stickers, so I don't know if they repair lenses directly in the Netherlands or if they send them to Japan.

Maybe you could send them an email. Smile