Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony a7 or a7R & which lens?
Quote:If you use equivalent f-values (read: similar aperture size with similar DOF), MFT is not very much different than what you get with FF. So, if you use f8 on FF, use f4 on MTF. Like I said, FF has a shallow DOF advantage as its main advantage...

Not all that different from a Canon EOS 6D with a 24-70mm f4 L IS USM. 
The total package is very different. Number of focus points, number of MP's, size and weight of camera,live view and focus peaking.
Quote:another consideration is the Olympus OM-De-M1

which lens to get?

I had a play with the e-m1 at the shop the shop the other day with the 12-40mm 2.8 it felt like a great combo and the viewfinder was incredible! I've never liked any evf before but this one is amazing, almost couldn't tell it wasn't optical. Played with the GX7 and A7 at the same time and neither of their viewfinders seemed to compare, although the A7 was very close. However I think the cost of the om-e-m1 is just too high for a 43 camera...

Seeing as you already have the D600 I'd recommend my current setup which is Nikon 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 although I'd be tempted to say get the new 35mm 1.8 instead of the 50mm as 50mm and 85mm is fairly close. I also have the sigma 150macro for tele shots and macro and Samyang 8mm fishery for super wide stuff!
Hey guys thank youvery much for your comments

I am more likely to sell the D600 + 24-70mm/f2.8 as under utilised.

I only take them out whenever I travel which is about 4 times a year.

Most shop assistants recommend either EM1 or a7 (since I am moving from D600+24-70mm)

Comment: I may not like the Olympus OMD E-M10 as I was used to D600

I have seen both the EM1 & a7 at the shop.

The cost of the EM1 + 12-40mm vs a7 +28-70mm is pretty close

I thought a7 being FF is a better value for money. (note: I do not print-Just photos for momentos)

Having read the nice comments - I am deciding btw these options mainly for travel photos

1) Sony A6000 + CZ 16-70 f/4. + Sigma 30/2.8

2) OMD E-M10: Olympus 9-18 f4-5.6 + 45 f1.8 + 17 f1.8 OR Panasonic 12-35 lens  + Olympus 40-150 or Panasonic 45-150

3) Olympus OM-De-EM1 + 12-40mm f/2.8 + 42.5mm f/0.95 + Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 + Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro

4) Panasonic GX7 + Pana 14/2.5 + Pana 20/1.7 + Oly 45/1.8 and/or Pana 45-150

5) Keep my D600 + 50mm 1.4 Nikon and sell the 24-70mm

add 20mm 2.8 + Samyang 8mm fishery (will skip sigma 150macro is too big and heavy)

Much appreciate any tips
If you don't print, maybe full frame is not for you? It's a lot more exacting to extract the full resolution, especially as the Soy A series cameras have no inbuilt stabilisation.

I wouldn't knock the EM10; there are of course many ways in which the em1 is better, but part of the point of m43 is size, and the em10 hits a sweet spot which is a lot smaller than the em1 while being big enough to be a lot more usable ergonomically than say the Panny gm1..all that this the same IQ as em1 and pretty good controls...

Just as an additional comment - the A7 may be nice but the 28-70mm seems to be rather bad.

Why do you exclude Fuji ? I am curious.
Quote:Just as an additional comment - the A7 may be nice but the 28-70mm seems to be rather bad.

Why do you exclude Fuji ? I am curious.

Probabaly worry about Fuji's QC? Rolleyes
Quote:Probabaly worry about Fuji's QC? Rolleyes

Yes, but then Sony has to be ruled out as well.
Quote:Yes, but then Sony has to be ruled out as well.

Interestingly, if weight and size are considered, MFT does not seem to have advantage over Fuji. E.g., XE1+18mm/F2+35mm/F1.4+60mm/F2.4=868g, and EM5+12mm/F2+25mm/F1.4+45mm/F1.8=871g. Though Fuji is APS-C.

I choose to stay with MFT just because of the bad QC of Fuji. Amazing cameras and lenses, but bad QC.That is Fuji.
Quote:Interestingly, if weight and size are considered, MFT does not seem to have advantage over Fuji. E.g., XE1+18mm/F2+35mm/F1.4+60mm/F2.4=868g, and EM5+12mm/F2+25mm/F1.4+45mm/F1.8=871g. Though Fuji is APS-C.

I choose to stay with MFT just because of the bad QC of Fuji. Amazing cameras and lenses, but bad QC.That is Fuji.

It's something I've been considering as well.

In fact, I created a table that compares lenses in terms of weight and volume, between MFT and Fuji.

Some lenses are a bit different (MFT 12 and Fuji 14), but this is more to get a rough estimate of whether one would gain much by going the MFT route. Furthermore, the speeds are also a bit different too.

I only included primes, from the widest available to the classic portrait focal length (~85mm equivalent).

Note that I included results for two 85mm equivalent focal lengths: one with the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and the other with the new Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 (numbered "MFT (2)").

As we can see there are significant gains both in term of size and weight by going the MFT route albeit with generally slower FF equivalent apertures. Also, the gain is much less if one choose the Panasonic instead of the Olympus, at the cost of speed/DOF of course. Also, overall the Fuji offers more speed and DOF control (obviously).

So, as with everything in life, it's all a matter of trade-offs.

[Image: 12945731334_55a3bafc6f_o.png]
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:The total package is very different. Number of focus points
The 6D has the more powerful AF system with its low light capable (and otherwise also very fast and good) AF system.

Quote:, number of MP's
24 vs 20mp is not a big difference. And 20mp is already enough for very big prints.

Quote:, size and weight of camera
Yes. And better handling of the bigger camera.

Quote:,live view
And missing OVF. 

Quote:and focus peaking.
Oddly enough, I do not need focus peaking. If I did I would install a different firmware on the 6D with focus peaking (magic lantern, at no extra cost)...

My point was that you were comparing 24-70mm f2.8 DSLR packages with a 24-70mm f4 A7 package. Better to compare with a 24-70mm f4, which makes the difference quite a bit less.

Obviously, the A7 has some advantages. And quite a few disadvantages too.