Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back from vacation (New Zealand)
I love this place!

<sup>Welsome back. Is that the area around Mount Cook and the  Fox Glacier? I was there last April and loved it too. Amazed to find quite  a number of young Brits working in the restautants in the area and in other parts of NZ too. Not only on their gap year, either.</sup>

<sup>BTW I can only download the first pic in the set, using either IE6 or the latest version of Google Chrome. Don't know why.</sup>

That's Mt Sefton in the center and Mt Cook is visible at the far right.

The picture was taken from Mueller Hut in Mt Cook NP - thus from "the other side".

Seems as if an upgrade attempt of the forum caused some troubles ...

You can take a picture like this one in Bavaria, can't you? Smile Anyway, new tests are coming up soon, right? Josef

Austria or Switzerland may qualify but in this case you will have to live with some cows blocking the view plus drunken people in the hut.  Tongue

So, any general thoughts about the Zony 24-70? Did you use it around the mountain?
I am not absolutely sure about the Zony.

The corners could be better at 24mm. However, the build quality is stunning and it's a joy to use it.
Quote:I am not absolutely sure about the Zony.

The corners could be better at 24mm. However, the build quality is stunning and it's a joy to use it.
Yes that's my feeling; I took it with me on a five day walk on the Wilderness Coast (pics on my blog at http://sonsofthedesert-abushwalkingblog....coast.html) and I was lovely to use. Corners at 24: hmmm. But plenty nice elsewhere even at 24. And it's only 100g heavier than the panny 12-35 I was using before. Maybe to get better corners it would need to be bigger? 
Now after having seen several images taken with this lens - yeah, the corners are soft at 24mm.

This is in so far a bit surprising because Zeiss used an extended design (essentially an empty tube at the rear) in order to increase the distance to the sensor (thus mimicking a SLR lens).

I reckon the A7R is strictly a camera to be used with prime lenses.

Oh well, bye bye A7R, here comes the X-T1.

Well, I was pretty happy with the compromises for hiking purposes. But yes, the primes are nice.

One thing I noticed was that the corner softness was mitigated, bizarrely, by distortion correction! Why? well it seems that the FL is quite a bit wider than 24 mm before correction, and when corrected a lot of the original corners are cut off. Perhaps the most extreme bit of corner is as bad, but the zone of bad is smaller. Of course this does mean that you are losing some valuable pixels to cropping when the (HUGE) original distortion is removed.

On another matter, do you have a 55 1.8 for testing? I live in Sydney (near Sydney Uni where I teach)  (and Bundanoon) and could part with mine for a little...