Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8
Quite nice:

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/863-zeiss32f18

I've read your conclusion - honestly, comparing the tests you've done for the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R, the numbers aren't much different - I wonder why one would buy the Zeiss...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I am not sure what you are referring to ...

If you take the border numbers of the Zeiss at f/1.8, you have to stop down the Fuji beyond f/4 to match this.

The Zeiss is also sharper in the image center at f/2.2 than the Fuji at f/2.8.

MTF-wise the Zeiss is superior to the Fuji till f/5.6. At f/8 and f/11 the Fuji has a marginal advantage.

Interesting (not quite the sames results):

http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-toui...35mm-f1-4/

But Jordan doesn't measure MTF; lenstip has some mtf data on both  if you want a second opinion.

Did you notice much difference in the lens rendering or contrast ?

While I really like the Fuji 35mm f1.4, I was always a disappointed by its performance at wide apertures. Stepping down to f2.8 or f4 gives really sharp pictures from corner to corner but it appears the Zeiss gets similar results from f1.8. However, the Bokeh is, IMHO, nicer with the Fuji (thanks to admiringlight for that one). 

If I had to do it again, and if the prices were equal, I would probably go for the Zeiss, though the decision would be hard. That said, I've moved on from the 50mm to the 35mm equivalents with the Fuji 23mm f1.4 which is great wide open. 

In any case, thank you for the review.

Quote:I am not sure what you are referring to ...

If you take the border numbers of the Zeiss at f/1.8, you have to stop down the Fuji beyond f/4 to match this.

The Zeiss is also sharper in the image center at f/2.2 than the Fuji at f/2.8.

MTF-wise the Zeiss is superior to the Fuji till f/5.6. At f/8 and f/11 the Fuji has a marginal advantage.

... but, according to other tests, the Fuji has got better bokeh. So, if I'm a landscaper, I'm only interested in apertures around f/8, and they are pretty close there; if I'm a portraiture man, sharpness is probably less interesting that bokeh.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:Interesting (not quite the sames results):

http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-toui...35mm-f1-4/

His sharpness findings are actually identical to ours ...

And that you can achieve more blur at f/1.4 than at f/1.8 is hardly surprising.

This doesn't define the bokeh though. The bokeh is not about the amount but about the quality of the blur.

Blur is just a function of the aperture and distance.
From those images, both actually have pretty smooth bokeh for 35mm. Nice little lenses, both of them.

How about lensflare? Which one is better in this regard? The Zeiss or the Fuji?