Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Pentax Leek?
#1
This comes from a French post, I have taken the liberty of translating it here!

 

 

 

  At first glance it looks like another rumour, especially coming so soon after the K50/500, but reading closely there's many things listed that make a lot of sense. 

Here goes;  In 2014 Pentax will have a range of four reflex cameras, the K3; the KL retro, the K60 and the K600. Pentax is keeping the most advanced features for the K3 , with a simplified exposure system from the K3 used for the new models and a 10 point AF sytem for the K60 ,whilst using the SR and AA simulation for the KL.

 Using an improved chassis for new models and new electronics.

 The K600 uses the body of the K60 except the back panel will be the same as the K500, only available in black, faster and more reactive with an improved AF using the K500 AF module. The AF points will now be highlighted in the viewfinder.(great news). Using the existing 16Mps sensor and no WR.

 The K60 will have a new front and back panel design in keeping with the KL and also a body grip available in many colours. A new 20Mps sensor with an AA filter and a new AF model derived from the K3 with 17 points of which 15 are F2.8 cross type. WiFi is built in as well as WR.

 The KL will have a plastic body in black or silver (limited ed.) with the back panel from the K60, it will use the K3 battery and have a LCD top panel. The 20Mps sensor has no AA filter using the SR and simulated AA filter of the K3. AF also comes from the K3, however the shutter is from the K5, larger buffer. WR and HDMI. Also includes a traditional dedicated depth of field control.

 This rumour has so much Pentax thinking that I must admit I'm inclined to give this a decent amount of credence. 

  The author sets aside the question of a full frame release.

 

 We live in interesting times!   oops for typing error leek/ leak.

Dave's clichés
#2
I am not sure whether the cameras are really tackling the pain point.

#3
Quote:I am not sure whether the cameras are really tackling the pain point.
 Can you share your thoughts a bit further?
Dave's clichés
#4
What exactly is Pentax' differentiator today ?

What is the value prop compared to Canon and Nikon ?

 

System-wise they are smaller. Performance-wise they are not better. Their release-cycle of new products is slower.

And the mirrorless gang has beaten them on their last ground (size, weight).

 

Thus what is left ?
#5
Quote:What exactly is Pentax' differentiator today ?

What is the value prop compared to Canon and Nikon ?

 

System-wise they are smaller. Performance-wise they are not better. Their release-cycle of new products is slower.

And the mirrorless gang has beaten them on their last ground (size, weight).

 

Thus what is left ?
All perfectly valid points, I suppose with 7-8 billion people on the planet all with different views there's a market share for quite a few manufacturers, it's "just" a question of being profitable. Do we really need Pentax? well at the moment they are selling OK and any additional choice can only be good. 

 The three new cameras don't break any new ground but no doubt they will be priced competitively and you do get a lot of spec for your money with good optical viewfinders whereas Canon and Nikon are still giving you miserly pentaprisms apart from top models. However Pentax  have a way to go, there's holes in their lens range, 4-5 new lenses would cure a lot of that, the new 1.4X teleconverter is about to be announced, kit lenses need to be seriously upgraded to internal silent drives,(  first point of contact in brick and mortar stores) flash issues have been sorted,  most points have been addressed but there are still some to be improved. Here it's fairly easy we are talking today!

  Tommorrow:  most importantly things are changing so fast who knows really where things are going to go, is FF really what the market wants five years from now ?  Will DSLRs be popular for long now that mirrorless is on the scene? What revolutionary technological twist will upset the photographic world, when it's possible to put a Zeelon micro sensor in your Iphone Z35? 

  Gone are the days of jobs for life, you just have to do what you can in the business world, when you can for as long as you can, and be grateful for it. I guess that's what Penat/Ricoh are at, getting down on it and producing some pretty decent cameras!

Dave's clichés
#6
I think they had a really good window of opportunity about 3-4 years ago at the time they released the K7 and K5.

They had a real run. And then the trouble started with the aftermath of the Hoya-Pentax merger followed by the Ricoh deal. The company did not recover from this - yet at least.

Conceptually they were right with the Q series (tiny = USP) but they were betting on the wrong horse with the sensor - just like Nikon they were afraid of hurting their DSLR business.

#7
Quote:What exactly is Pentax' differentiator today ?

What is the value prop compared to Canon and Nikon ?

 

System-wise they are smaller. Performance-wise they are not better. Their release-cycle of new products is slower.

And the mirrorless gang has beaten them on their last ground (size, weight).

 

Thus what is left ?
I think Pentax is looking pretty good actually for the small guy.

 

In DSLRs, Compared to Canon and Nikon one could argue that a they offer a more complete and premium DX system - more DX lens options, premium build prime lenses, better built DX dslrs. Canon and Nikon push full frame for their top products.

 

In medium format, the upcoming 645DII will likely use a Sony CMOS and borrow all the other contemporary K series technology like fast processor( 24MP @ 12fps in 14bit), refined live view and fast CDAF, -3EV PDAF, SDM motors, image stabilization (in lenses eg 90mm macro), weather sealing. With this  technology they are way ahead of the medium format competition which is in the 90's camera technology wise. That's a good position to be in when your product is also 1/3 - 1/2 the price. They are only outmanoeuvred by the competition when it comes to tethering, support, distribution channels etc but it seems they do not care about addressing that.

 

As far as the Q, well it seems to sell well in Japan. They could have definitely made it better though. For one they should scarp the el cheapo silver paint finish on the lenses and include a EVF option. But that could compete too much with the Ricoh GXR which probably why its pitched right at the consumer market instead.

 

And then you have success like the Ricoh GR. All in all a pretty comprehensive and competitive offering. 
#8
Quote:I think Pentax is looking pretty good actually for the small guy.

 

In DSLRs, Compared to Canon and Nikon one could argue that a they offer a more complete and premium DX system - more DX lens options, premium build prime lenses, better built DX dslrs. Canon and Nikon push full frame for their top products.

 

In medium format, the upcoming 645DII will likely use a Sony CMOS and borrow all the other contemporary K series technology like fast processor( 24MP @ 12fps in 14bit), refined live view and fast CDAF, -3EV PDAF, SDM motors, image stabilization (in lenses eg 90mm macro), weather sealing. With this  technology they are way ahead of the medium format competition which is in the 90's camera technology wise. That's a good position to be in when your product is also 1/3 - 1/2 the price. They are only outmanoeuvred by the competition when it comes to tethering, support, distribution channels etc but it seems they do not care about addressing that.

 

As far as the Q, well it seems to sell well in Japan. They could have definitely made it better though. For one they should scarp the el cheapo silver paint finish on the lenses and include a EVF option. But that could compete too much with the Ricoh GXR which probably why its pitched right at the consumer market instead.

 

And then you have success like the Ricoh GR. All in all a pretty comprehensive and competitive offering. 
 

Honestly ... success = market share ... and we all know where it is.
#9
Quote:I think Pentax is looking pretty good actually for the small guy.

 

In DSLRs, Compared to Canon and Nikon one could argue that a they offer a more complete and premium DX system - more DX lens options, premium build prime lenses, better built DX dslrs. Canon and Nikon push full frame for their top products.

 

In medium format, the upcoming 645DII will likely use a Sony CMOS and borrow all the other contemporary K series technology like fast processor( 24MP @ 12fps in 14bit), refined live view and fast CDAF, -3EV PDAF, SDM motors, image stabilization (in lenses eg 90mm macro), weather sealing. With this  technology they are way ahead of the medium format competition which is in the 90's camera technology wise. That's a good position to be in when your product is also 1/3 - 1/2 the price. They are only outmanoeuvred by the competition when it comes to tethering, support, distribution channels etc but it seems they do not care about addressing that.

 

As far as the Q, well it seems to sell well in Japan. They could have definitely made it better though. For one they should scarp the el cheapo silver paint finish on the lenses and include a EVF option. But that could compete too much with the Ricoh GXR which probably why its pitched right at the consumer market instead.

 

And then you have success like the Ricoh GR. All in all a pretty comprehensive and competitive offering. 
Yes, we tend to forget about the 645D, it's been out there for so long now, a new generation version with all the missing bells and whistles with a the latest sensor could be a game changer and bring a lot of the right  kind of "pro kudos' for Pentax!

PS.  Love my silver FA* 300 and the way it has PENTAX written in huge letters across it!

Dave's clichés
#10
About, the pseudo-df-retro-hipster-KL... It surprises me non native speaker don't get the tone, but it was stated as a overly humorous tone in the original. That being said, the whole post was announced with a "While I'm dabbling in astrology, hear my predictions" prelude.

  


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)