Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish eye lens for D7000
Hello everyone! I am currently on a hunt for a good fish eye lens or "Ultra wide angle lens" I had the tokina 11-16mm pro dx for my canon. I am making a transition to Nikon and looking for lenses. I love tokina but i would like to try something else. I have been looking for fish eye lens that wont give me that black circle on the photo. I personally find it horrible but that It's my preference. These are some that are I have been looking at

10.5 mm Fisheye nikon,

Rokinon 8mm 3.5

samyang 8mm

sigma 10.5 fish eye.

excuse my ignorance but I am not sure if some of those are even compatible with my D7000. I know the whole crop sensor its different from the FF but I am going insane trying to figure out which ones are the best one for my Dx camera :/ I am still learning guys! so any tip would be highly appreciated! Smile I am going to eventually buy my Tokina 11-16mm again but I really want a fish eye lens without that ugly circle on the photo. 

THANK YOUUUU!

I have the Samyang 8mm  fisheye ( stereo projection lens)  on APSc it has no black circle, what a great lens for the money, you have to stop down a little though, but when you do it's very sharp, supersharp in the center and the colours are great, but it's real forté is it's resistance against flare.

In the Pentax mount the aperture is controlled from the body, in the Canon I think it's all manual.

Unless you need to shoot a lot wide open this lens produces crackling images and all for a bargain price!

I also have the Samyang, and it is great value. Mine isn't great at f/3.5 though (feels like reduced contrast), but f/5.6 is good enough. At f/8 you don't have to worry much about focusing. I believe the Rokinon is just a rebranded version of the same. Unless you want to spend lots of cash on something, I'd recommend it.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Samyang 8mm = Rokinon, Pro-Optic, Walimex, Falcon, many more names.

see http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Fish-eye...+Stitching

It's a nice lens for the price.

Note, as explained in the link, distance marks on the focus ring may be off, there seems to be some big variation. Some unsharpness at f3.5 that users report may be due to wrong focus. At f5.6, f8 DOF is big enough to cover it up.

The focus ring can be adjusted.
The focus scale on mine was way out, and I have corrected it. To me, the reduced quality at f/3.5 isn't misfocus, as you can play about with magnified live view as much as you like. Feels like a cheap fast prime wide open in that case. Probably has a wide point spread function.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Even though you said you wanted to try something else than Tokina, I still think one of the most interesting options on crop sensors is Tokina's 10-17mm Fisheye zoom.

A note, though: unless you plan to shoot panos, a fisheye lens is a special effect lens, which can be fun to use, but is no real substitute for a "normal" (=corrected) wide angle lens.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:The focus scale on mine was way out, and I have corrected it. To me, the reduced quality at f/3.5 isn't misfocus, as you can play about with magnified live view as much as you like. Feels like a cheap fast prime wide open in that case. Probably has a wide point spread function.

Yes, f3.5 will not be as sharp. But the point was that some people that report unsharpness may be mislead by the focus scale being off, and we know it happens with this lens.    The whole axial movement of the lens from minimal focus to infinity is like 0.5 millimeters. Yet, even being off by 0.1 millimeter makes quite a big difference. I think in this range, even slight variations in the mount distance can have an effect. I don't recall what the engineering specs (+/-) are for the Canon mount , and for the lens mount.
Focus on my Samyang is good, but it's still soft at F3.5 takes till F6.3 to become half decent!

Quote:Focus on my Samyang is good, but it's still soft at F3.5 takes till F6.3 to become half decent!

Hmm, are you sure, that doesn't match with the reviews.
Sure about the focus or the resolution?  If it's the latter I find the corners are really not there at F5.6, maybe the field of curvature?  most sites refocus so FOC is not  always representative of real life shots.