Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adobe Lightroom 5.3 and newly introduced Olympus camera profiles : finally.
As a follow up to my previous post (I can't locate, the topic search seems rather limited?) about poor color rendition by Adobe standard color profile for the Olympus OMD E-M5, here is a single shot showing the "with & without". Over time, I got used to correcting using the blue hue slider in the calibration panel but was mostly unsatisfied with this process. The Blue, which looked violet, is now back in check and contrast are boosted, maybe a little too much but it's a better base to start with, IMHO. I'm grateful for Adobe for finally looking at Olympus after a long time of only looking at Canon & Nikon. Tells us something, I guess.

[Image: NewProfilesLR5.3.png]

I don't have an Olympus, but I've seen some problems with Lightroom and my Sony NEX-6, solved by means of profiles. There's something I don't understand about your post: are you saying that Lightroom 5.3 changed the way it renders colours for your camera?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I don't have an Olympus, but I've seen some problems with Lightroom and my Sony NEX-6, solved by means of profiles. There's something I don't understand about your post: are you saying that Lightroom 5.3 changed the way it renders colours for your camera?

Hi, Adobe used to provide only a "standard" profile that is Adobe's way of processing RAW. They have their own method of measuring and profiling that may not give the intended camera manufacturer rendering. For example, mfcter x renders red very saturated, green with a yellowish cast etc but Adobe, as long as they don't provide this, leaves you only with their "default calibration", not a bad thing per se...

In the case of the E-P1, while visibly different from Olympus rendering intent, I didn't find the Adobe profile to be "wrong". But with the E-M5, some colors were just completely off the board. The blue of skies turned violet and some yellow & orange had a pinkish tint. In a repeatable fashion. The new camera profiles Adobe provided try to match Olympus rendering intent more closely. Indeed, they are closer. So you have the choice in the calibration panel to use Adobe default rendering or from different Olympus profiles (Natural, Vivid, Portrait, ...) as found on Olympus cameras.

Hope this helps,

Sylvain

So, they added new profiles that are more consistent in your opinion. Yes, your experience is consistent to mine, as the profile named "Adobe Standard" for the NEX-6 produces a reddish color cast (already seen in the past with the Nikon D5000), while the "Camera Standard" profiles is ok.

Reading your first post I was unsure whether Adobe added new profiles or changed the behaviour of the existing one, a thing that would have worried me a lot (it's important that at each update of Lightroom the rendition of photos that have been already processed stays exactly the same).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Added, indeed.

So far, Adobe has been relatively careful, at least in lightroom IMHO, with adding new rendering, always allowing you to review and to decide to "promote" to a new engine.

Quote:So far, Adobe has been relatively careful, at least in lightroom IMHO, with adding new rendering, always allowing you to review and to decide to "promote" to a new engine.

Minor bugs apart, I agree.
stoppingdown.net