Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor-S•C 55mm f1.2 versus Canon FL 55mm f1.2
I want a fast standard prime for my 6D, for low light street shooting, shallow DOF photography and for other uses like portraits. My dream lenses for this would be the Canon EF 50mm f1.0 L USM and Noct-Nikkor 58mm f1.2 Ai-S. But both lenses are really rather unaffordable...

Then there is the Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM, but it is also not the most affordable lens at €1500 or so new.

So I have bought two old lenses, to see how they can fulfil the role of fast standard prime. 

Both are very similar. They originate from the mid 1960's, and have an identical (more or less) design.

The Nikkor 55mm f1.2:

[Image: nico_50mmf12Non_AI_optic.gif]

The Canon FL 55mm f1.2:

[Image: fl55mmf12optic.gif]

Both have 7 elements in 5 groups, in identical configuration. 

Nikkor

Weight: 420 grams

Size (length x width): 58.3 x 73.5mm

Aperture: 7 blades

Filter size: 52mm

MFD: 0.6m 

Canon:

Weight: 480 grams

Size (length x width): 67 x 52.5mm

Aperture: 8 blades, slightly rounded at bigger apertures

Filter size: 58mm

MFD: slightly less than 0.6m 

Even though the Canon has a bigger filter size, the two lenses have an identical front element diameter (and identical back element diameter)

The Nikon needs a Nikon F-mount to EOS adapter, the Canon needs an FL to EOS mount conversion. At a certain distance towards infinity, the mirror can't completely open with the Canon FL lens, because the back element will protrude too far. For such cases I need to shoot in live view. Or get a darker vignetting on the bottom or side of the image.

I am going to test these two lenses side by side, to see which one I like most (worst case will be when I like them both for different things...).

Opinions, suggestions, advice, tips, remarks, all are very welcome of course...

A first rendering character test. 

Nikkor:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_161193.jpg]

Canon:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_35598.jpg]

Neither are smooth bokeh kings, and seem very similar. In details do things different at different distances, which I find a bit strange.

I find both to be surprisingly sharp.... even at 100% pixel size, wide open.

They render a bit differently, colour wise, the Nikkor seems a bit more magenta? And the Nikkor is more contrasty.

Comparing back light performance.

Nikkor:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_173415.jpg]

Canon:

[Image: gallery_10230_63_197125.jpg]

Clearly the newer, more advanced coatings of the Nikkor-S•C have a real benefit. The image is much more contrasty, the Canon has a strong veil over the entire image. 

The Nikkor has some funky flares going on, I find the flaring of the Canon more attractive (even if they are stronger, their shape is nicer).

Both lenses have real character.

Interesting test. I went for the FD 50mm f/1.2 (non-L version) and put an Ed Mika mount conversion on it. That too has the mirror meets lens problem close to infinity on a FF body. Unfortunately that lens isn't at all sharp wide open (kinda like the f/1.0), although I can pretend that is part of the attraction.

On the f/1.0, I'm kinda kicking myself for passing on one years ago. It was early on in my photography hobby and I had not long switched from Sony to Canon. With hindsight, the price was a bargain at just over £1k. Even if I just bought it to sell it I'd be laughing now.

Out of interest, was a more modern f/1.4 a consideration? I know there's the fractional stop difference, but opens up a lot more possibilities.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Personally, I would consider to buy a 50/1.2L if I needed (or wanted) a fast 50mm on a 6D.

I got my 50L for 800e (used in very good condition) some years ago.

I doubt, that you really will enjoy low light street shooting with a manual 50/1.2.

Just my thoughts ... Rainer

Quote:Interesting test. I went for the FD 50mm f/1.2 (non-L version) and put an Ed Mika mount conversion on it. That too has the mirror meets lens problem close to infinity on a FF body. Unfortunately that lens isn't at all sharp wide open (kinda like the f/1.0), although I can pretend that is part of the attraction.
Yes, finally I went for an Ed Mika mount for this lens too. I also saw a nice FD 50mm f1.2 L for sale in my country, but to convert it would be difficult (I don't think Ed Mika has one for that lens yet?) and images I have seen taken with this 55mm had a charm, so that is why I decided to try thatone. 

Quote:On the f/1.0, I'm kinda kicking myself for passing on one years ago. It was early on in my photography hobby and I had not long switched from

Sony to Canon. With hindsight, the price was a bargain at just over £1k. Even if I just bought it to sell it I'd be laughing now.
Wow, that was an amazing find... bad decision to not pick it up right away for sure! 

Quote:Out of interest, was a more modern f/1.4 a consideration? I know there's the fractional stop difference, but opens up a lot more possibilities.
Well, I kind of like the 55mm length, so I first wanted to try those. A Canon EF 50mm f1.4 is always a cheap option, but first I'll see how I will like these 55mm f1.2's. The price reduced Sigma is not too bad either, nor is the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. I wonder why they do not have that lens in EF mount?
Quote:Personally, I would consider to buy a 50/1.2L if I needed (or wanted) a fast 50mm on a 6D.

I got my 50L for 800e (used in very good condition) some years ago.
Well, you have to be lucky to come across a good and cheap 2nd hand one, I guess. Nice price.

Quote:I doubt, that you really will enjoy low light street shooting with a manual 50/1.2.

Just my thoughts ... Rainer
Actually, I am finding it easy for the moment, with the Eg-S screen and even the focus confirmation does not seem off a lot.
Not sure your budget, but the Pentax K50/1.2 and Cosina 55/1.2 are out there. 
The Cosina does not seem to be much unlike the Nikkor and Canon, maybe a both smoother bokeh (hard to tell with limited image samples, with most of them on APS-C). Thanks for pointing that lens out, I was not aware of its existence... 

The Pentax seems very well behaved.

You're welcome, interesting to see your results so far.  The Pentax K-versions are a bit less dear than the A-versions due to the lack of auto-aperture, so quite suitable for adapting to EOS mount.  I was going to suggest the Voigt 58 as well (f/1.4 on 58mm is about the same DOF as f/1.2 of 50mm) but also surprised that it's not available in EOS mount!