Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seriously considering 7D mkii
Don't underestimate T6i that's an excellent camera, IMHO with its lightweight, size and features it is Canon's ideal lens for hiking, I think 17-55 itself has this issue with T6i, tried several times the repairs in vain, dunno why canon isn't listening to us and fixing this  with a firmware update. The good news is when switching to live view, autofocus is spot on, 17-55 would have been a amazing lens on T6i without this autofocus issue.

Frankly all T6i needs is a firmware update that corrects front focus on 17-55 IS and allows wifi photos download on PC

I totally agree with you toni-a.  And yes, focus is 100% with live-view.  But I'm afraid I'm a bit old-school when it comes to shooting.  I like the viewfinder.  Also it was very bright outside, making shooting with live-view difficult.

First weekend with 7D mkii and my first impressions are very positive, maybe itr is the feature i am appreciating most, the camera always selects the AF points located on people faces, I don't have to change AF points when going from landscape to portrait orientation, of 220 shots of the weekend not a single one is out of focus, branches in front of subject didn't fool the AF

Canon 17-55 f2.8 was a joy to use on it the combo was very handy and most important in an overcast day, the skin tones were very pleasing and accurate.

The lightweight 10-18f4.5-5.6 proved to be a little lightweight gem for hiking.

All in all I am very pleased with it
Quote:I totally agree with you toni-a.  And yes, focus is 100% with live-view.  But I'm afraid I'm a bit old-school when it comes to shooting.  I like the viewfinder.  Also it was very bright outside, making shooting with live-view difficult.
Hello,

do you still have Tamron 17-50 non VC?

If yes - how does it perform on T6i.

PS: I did not moved to canon - few years ago bought second tamron via dutch e-bay marktplaats.I think I paid 120 euro

Quote:First weekend with 7D mkii and my first impressions are very positive, maybe itr is the feature i am appreciating most, the camera always selects the AF points located on people faces, I don't have to change AF points when going from landscape to portrait orientation, of 220 shots of the weekend not a single one is out of focus, branches in front of subject didn't fool the AF

Canon 17-55 f2.8 was a joy to use on it the combo was very handy and most important in an overcast day, the skin tones were very pleasing and accurate.

The lightweight 10-18f4.5-5.6 proved to be a little lightweight gem for hiking.

All in all I am very pleased with it

Great to hear you are happy with your 7D II, toni-a, and with your lenses.

That is all that counts.

Kindest regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I am envious of the high performance OVF.  I am forced to imagine what that would be like!

Congrats on the 7D Mark-II.  Sounds like you got it for a steal! 

How do you like the viewfinder?  I suppose it is bigger and brighter, so easier to focus manually?  (even though you probably use Auto Focus Confirmation I find after a short time in low light that I have a hard time pre-focusing manually).

@backcountryskier - I wonder about smudges and focus.  You'd think if the camera could not focus on a smudge on a filter because it is too close.  Is it visible in photos?  Plus it is focusing wide open so I would think it would be hunting not focusing wrongly.  So if it effected focus, it would almost have to be visible in the photo at least if you shoot at a high f-stop.