Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 100-400mm f4.5-6.3 USD VC on the horizon
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...c-usd.html

I've seen it over at Nikon rumors last tuesday: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/12/tamro...soon.aspx/ and thought "another we too lens". As good as it is to have choices, I could not spot a diffenreces aside from design. At second look, the difference could be: at least the Tamron has an oppportuints to mount a tripod collar. I can't see that on the Sigma.

I guess both lenses are worth to be considered an alternative to genuine 100-400. At least the Nikon one is very expensive and heavy. (1570 g for the Nikon 80-400 VRII, 1160 g for the Sigma 100-400)

Perhaps there is a notable difference in focus breathing of the widening kind too, and of course perhaps not. What is impressive how quickly they react to eachother (Sigma to Tamron with the 150-600s and now Tamron to Sigma with this 100-400, they must have some advance knowledge of what is being developed by the other.

Spec-wise, it's like they using the same book of tasks.

I would've preferred this to be f/4.5-5.6, though. No big deal but I can feel that if I buy it, I'll be subconsciously longing for it to be as fast as the Canons (which are widely used around), even though the difference is just 1/3 stops, and that'll be leading to frustration. Smile

(I know... first world problems)

Arrived! Not "in da lab", just "at da JoJu"  Big Grin Weather report is something between totally shitty and depressing for the weekend, therefore I like to talk about little sweet features. Before I compare it to some 300ish lenses.

The part of the barrel which will take the tripod collar is made of metal. Yes! Collar will be 150 more, but the lens is so well balanced and light that a collar would only be the easy switch form landscape to portrait.

The shake reduction is highly impressive to me. I went down to 1/25 and I consider that as pretty okay. At 1/5 it started to work beyond it's limits. And somehow I think, the Fujinon will have a hard time to catch up with it, although it's f/⅔ faster at the long end. And +10 mm bigger in ø for the filter.

A very cool feature I saw in the manual: The focus limiter can be set up in the tap-in console and by default it's 7 m. 1.5 - 7 m or 7 m  - ∞ ? The answer is yes to both. Depending on the position of the distance scale when I switch over to the limiter, the focus will be limited either up to 7 m or down to 7 m. I don't recall I've seen such a clever solution before.

AF accuracy out of the box appeared to be nothing to complain about, but take it with a grain of salt.

Okay, the Tamron is only "designed in Japan" whereas the Sigma is also "made in Japan", but since I also buy computers "designed in California", who am I to blame Tamron? So far I'm rather surprised about the IQ and wondering if some real life shots will hold up to it.

Edit: I used the tap-in utility to change the limit distance. Another surprise. The behaviour I tried to explain is available as well as a more accustomed behaviour, meaning the switch gets a maximum and minimum distance I can choose at will. That's what I call clever and well thought customisation, are you listening, Fujifilm?

Like I said, MP is nothing to write home about once one is above 36MP. If anything, it's the other stuff which is interesting.

[Image: i-SRRJL8J-XL.jpg]

ISO 1000, cropped to 28% (plus reduction for opticallimits)

[Image: i-3gWkZz7-XL.jpg]

ISO 25.600 cropped to 28%

It's a pity it's so grey and rainy at the moment, this Tamron 100-400 is really yummy to use on a D850. And best of it - I hadn't adjusted any AF so far...

Sounds good JoJu!   Yeah the G2 is an accurate focusing lens, not quite as fast as the 500mm F4 and the two coming in second and third to the cheapo AF-P 18-55mm VR!

r² ......I just dropped my glasses on the keyboard and that....."r squared"  appeared! How did that happen?

Oh that life is full of mysteries!

Perhaps when you get a few reference shots JoJu you could post a link to download some RAW images?

Tamron are kicking butt!     How about a 600mm F4.5?