Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Just a development announcement ... 

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2013/1107.html

Looks like an interesting proposition for wildlife / action shooters on budget.

Does the max aperture f6.3 at 600mm mean it won't autofocus or autofoucus slowly on cameras which can only autofoucus down to f5.6 like D700 at the 600mm end?

Most likely it'll fake its max aperture to f5.6.
Just curious how does that work? (since you've likely seen it when testing old Sigma & Tamron long lenses). What does the aperture indicator read and what happens if you try to shoot at "f/5.6"?

Quote:Just curious how does that work? (since you've likely seen it when testing old Sigma & Tamron long lenses). What does the aperture indicator read and what happens if you try to shoot at "f/5.6"?

Yes, I wonder about this actually too, how does it work? There are a number of lenses out there, e.g. Tamron 18-270 that are 6.3 at the long end.
The MTF: [Image: Tamron-SP-150-600mm-F5-6.3-Di-VC-USD-lens-MTF-chart.jpg]

Is it impressive?
Depends on how to interpret this.

Looks like high contrast at 150mm and 600mm

Sharp in the image center, more so at 600mm than at 150mm.

The borders are good to very good albeit with high astigmatism at 600mm.

Honestly, I would give too much on this.  Rolleyes
After a telephone conversation with the UK Tamron it looks like the US dollar cost (already published) will yet again translate directly to UK pounds one-for-one?

No wonder Tamron.EU has an article about "grey imports" when they overtly steal from European consumers like this?

By the way - I have many grey lenses and cameras and all have been perfect.

I think we are all waiting for a real and independant review of this lens/

I'm in the market for a replacement for my 1st gen Niikon 80-400. The new one is a beast and awfully expensive. (The old one is extremely slow focusing, and at 400mm, it needs to be shot at f/8 - wide open is unusable.) It'll be interesting to see what this sells for, and if it's hand-holdable at 600mm (and 68 oz!).