Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another switch from Canon to MFT ....
Quote:Hi Wim,

It seems that this guy follow your “upgrade”way. APS-C -> FF - > mFT

I cannot understand anything in this article. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

You buy FF because you need DOF control , nice optical viewfinder , AF performance and last but not least special lenses. E.g in canon land - Tillt-Shift 17TS 24TS or 65mm Macro or/and long whites 300, 400, 500 600mm/2,8

If you don’t need them look somewhere else. Am I right?

It is like buying luxury Mercedes van when you  need Ferray race car.

BTW: You made I long journey in formats. I wonder what can you say at the end. Please share you experience! I remembered your eufory  when you switch from 350D to 5D

FYI – I stick and mastered only one format. I’m still happy with my 400d/50d. 

Hi Miro,

I still have my 5D II with a bunch of Canon lenses, and I own many more MFT lenses and 3 MFT bodies currently, plus 2 Metabones speedboosters, and a Metabones adapter. The latter three allow for AF and even Canon IS when applicable. In effect, this gives me the best of both worlds for those lenses which are not (yet) covered on MFT, plus I have FF to fall back on when I want to or need to.

When I sold off my APS-C cameras I did so because I wasn't using them anymore. With MFT now I got into this format 7-8 years ago when I could buy a rather complete set for a very good price, and I saw that as a trial type thing together with a light travel set.

Last year I decided to get rid of a lot of ancient stuff I had lying around which I didn't really use at all anymore, and my daughter got into photography more seriously as well. As a result I upgraded my MFT gear from Panasonic GF2 to Oly E-M5 II, and I also got a Pen-F to replace my ageing Powershot G10. I realized with the 20MP sensor it actually allowed for similar enlargements as the 5D II, so I upgraded the E-M5 II to an E-M1 II Smile. I also got several nice lenses in addition, plus the Metabones adapters.

In addition I got a Panasonic GM5, basically because it is teensy, and just plain fun, because it is smaller than the Canon G10, way better, and still allows for interchangeable lenses. The Pen-F I have with me at all times; it effectively replaced the G10 and more, and the E-M1 II I have with me when traveling relatively light (for work etc.). The 5D II I tend to use for specialized photography, or when I have time on my hand to go out for a specific shoot, although I do find that I just as often take out the E-M1 II in that case - it is so much easier to carry. This is slowly but surely making my 5D II my "studio" camera. To a degree it also depends on whether I want to shoot 3:2 images vs 4:3 images Smile.

As to noise: 5D II and E-M1 II are about the same. 6400 iso is usable on both, but I prefer not to go beyond 3200 iso - but then, I generally do not need to go beyond that anyway, plus, IBIS on the Olys is nothing short of incredible.

With regard to DoF: I do generally not stop down beyond F/5.6 on MFT, and not beyond F/11 on FF. When you take into account what really needs to be sharp, and what can't be resolved anyway, there is IMO generally only very occasionally reason to go beyond the F/11 equivalent. As to shallow DoF: I do have fast lenses, but I always do close the aperture, generally speaking, to F/2.8 at least to get at least some semblance of DoF rather than just a single eyelash, plus one needs to stop down at least a stop and a half to 2 stops to get optimal sharpness, with FF anyway (with MFT it often is just 1/2 stop or less if you choose your lenses carefully enough).

Using a Metabones Speedbooster makes life easy too with very fast lenses. On MFT you gain a stop of light gathering ability (or 1 1/3 stop with the 0.64x one), and obviously you loose a stop, or 2/3 of a stop, because of MFT, but because you effectively are still only using the center of the lens (similar end result as with APS-C), you do not need to stop down as far IME to get optimal results. And weirdly enough, bokeh appears to be smoother and slightly thinner with a Speedboosted lens on MFT vs the non-boosted on FF when using the lens wide open - possibly because the resulting 1.4x / 1.28x factor. I should really do DoF calculations one of these days Smile.

Anyway, some of my thoughts on MFT vs, or rather, in combination, with FF.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:The problem is that I’m not professional photographer neither pro driver.

I can only drive one thinks optimal – My own car and canon dSLRs

I can still use the car of my wife and other cameras but in sub-optimal way.

That is why I ask Wim to share experience. I still remembered how happy was Wim with canon 50/1.2 135/2.0 and 17TS.

And I still am happy with those, although I do want to upgrade my 5D II by now. As mentioned above, I share my Canon lenses with both the 5D II and MFT Smile. Works very well indeed. Just that for general, continuous carrying around, I have MFT gear with me rather than FF. The Pen-F always, stowed into my man purse replacing my old G10, and the E-M1 II in my ThinkTank roller bag, which also holds my office-away-from-the-office equipment.

From a use POV, I think I use my gear in a fairly optimal way, considering I can and do share my FF lenses with my MFT bodies. I currently do not use any of my photographic gear optimally since I started working for myself again almost 5 years ago now - just way less time available.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....