Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not so great, Sony ...
Was going to get a6000 after checking Sony lenses offering and their quality i am hesitating...
   That means wide open it's light equivalent is F22 in the corners!

This is an artistic lens to accentuate the center. Or "what bokeh can't deliver, will be swallowed by a black hole". 

Quote:This is an artistic lens to accentuate the center. Or "what bokeh can't deliver, will be swallowed by a black hole". 
*inverted black hole
It performs better than the Canon L and Nikkor overall.
Reminds me of the old days of putting too thick of a filter on a wide angle lens and wondering why the corners were so dark. 

Quote:It performs better than the Canon L and Nikkor overall.
I wonder why they couldn't just bite the bullet and go for a 82mm front filter to ease the vignetting problem... probably they were egged on by those who demand as compact a design as possible, and 82mm filters are still seen as "too large".

Even the Nikkor 24-120mm f4 gets by with a 77mm filter size. The issue is the undercorrection, not the filter size?

I think Rover meant that using a larger filter size would have enabled the designers to use greater diameter glass reducing it's ferocious vignetting! 

At least if that is what Rover meant?.......I agree with him! 

If the designers corrected the huge barrel distortion at the wide end, they do not need to think about a bigger front element, a bigger filter size, because the vignetting is not there then...

And bigger front elements means much more weight, and a higher price.