Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaked shots of Sony's A7 & A7R interchangeable lenses full frame cameras
Quote:For me, these Sony cameras look like a perfect (so far; well, nobody can comment on their operational qualities like AF speed/precision etc. yet)
AF speed is ok-ish for the A7, with the right adapter and EF lenses very slow like the 1st gen. live view implementations. 

Quote:one-size-fits all solution for adapting lots of different stuff. I have a boatload of EF lenses anyways which might be adapted in theory; and with native stuff, I (or rather, my wife) would get a decently compact setup. She is decidedly refusing to consider even a 6D (and the smallest practical lens I could pair it with would be the 24-85/3.5-4.5, which is not stabilized, reportedly iffy on FF and not very tiny at that).
Well, only the 3 zooms give IS. And that bottom range zoom is not all too compact. So why would your wife (or you) need it to be full frame?

Quote:Of course, it's all down to how much money we have, and how good are the two normal zooms. So far, she is managing pretty well with a NEX-3 and kit lens, but she has to step up sometime, and this looks like a much better alternative to both her current NEX and the 6D I was considering.
Why not step up the lenses for the Nex3 instead? Oh well, not much of an arm length away photographer myself, so I guess I can't really relate.
Quote:AF speed is ok-ish for the A7, with the right adapter and EF lenses very slow like the 1st gen. live view implementations. 

Well, only the 3 zooms give IS. And that bottom range zoom is not all too compact. So why would your wife (or you) need it to be full frame?

Why not step up the lenses for the Nex3 instead? Oh well, not much of an arm length away photographer myself, so I guess I can't really relate.
Full frame because she shoots mostly in poor lighting conditions - museums, etc. I could use a boost in quality as well since I only have the old 1D Mark II N and it's becoming a little long in the tooth for theatre shooting (I can manage, but only if the lighting is good). I thought against just adding more lenses for NEX-3 vs. just buying a 6D because assembling an entire second system seemed rather expensive and superfluous. But the A7 got me wondering again. Especially if EF lenses can be adapted with some kind of AF. I still hope it doesn't turn out to be that ugly by the time I have money to burn...

And I have a cool ancient leather case that the 1D doesn't fit into, so I need something to put inside. Big Grin The A7 looks just the right size. Smile

Quote:Full frame because she shoots mostly in poor lighting conditions - museums, etc. I could use a boost in quality as well since I only have the old 1D Mark II N and it's becoming a little long in the tooth for theatre shooting (I can manage, but only if the lighting is good)
Yeah, lovely files... at low ISO. With APS-C you can use bigger apertures to get the same DOF, so depending on what you are after FF does not always have that big of an advantage. But IS and big apertures are not really the NEX's speciality... You could stick an EF IS lens in front but then it gets big and unwieldy again.

Quote:. I thought against just adding more lenses for NEX-3 vs. just buying a 6D because assembling an entire second system seemed rather expensive and superfluous. But the A7 got me wondering again. Especially if EF lenses can be adapted with some kind of AF. I still hope it doesn't turn out to be that ugly by the time I have money to burn...

And I have a cool ancient leather case that the 1D doesn't fit into, so I need something to put inside. Big Grin The A7 looks just the right size. Smile
I've got a cool leather box with a large format technical camera from the 1920's inside Big Grin. Now I just need some "digital back" to stick behind it, haha.
Quote:Yeah, lovely files... at low ISO. With APS-C you can use bigger apertures to get the same DOF, so depending on what you are after FF does not always have that big of an advantage. But IS and big apertures are not really the NEX's speciality... You could stick an EF IS lens in front but then it gets big and unwieldy again.
There's the rub - I top out at 800 iso (1600 looks pretty ugly) and thus can't stop down for better DOF; with a newer body I would've jacked it up to 3200 in order to stop the lens down some and still have passable shutter speed. I thought I might get a 1D IV instead, of course, but it's another hefty sum of money, I can't get all three cameras. Smile

Also, I love the 1D but there's an added benefit of being able to carry a smaller body everywhere. I tend to carry the 1D with me around (with the 17 and 24-85), but often I'm just too lazy to pick it up. Like today - and as misfortune would have it, I stumbled upon something noteworthy (an oil spill) but only had a cellphone on me. Tomorrow I'll see if my paper took the phone pics I sent them, but on screen, they looked horrible (grain all over). I kicked myself hard for not taking a proper camera - and with A7, it would've been so much easier!..

... what man can't do to justify buying another toy...

The Pana GM1 may fit your bill better than an A7. You would also need less excuses ;-)

A third system in the household is a bit much. Smile I'm no Ken Rockwell. Besides, A7 would've been positioned above my 1D in the food chain, not below it, all the while being much more compact (maybe even pocketable... body in one pocket, lens in another).

Buy a Rico GR. ;-) I'm really impressed by this little wonder. Maybe fixed lens cameras are better than mounted one. You have to buy anyway better lenses for the higher resolution. And if new sensors getting better with angular rays there will be new smaller lenses anyway. I think lenses will not last that long anymore if sensors getting more demanding.
http://camerasize.com/compare/#487,491

Interesting.... Wink
Will Photozone review the FF NEX (although I'm not sure of the name now) lenses?

Quote:http://camerasize.com/compare/#487,491

Interesting.... Wink

The Duracell look really big. ;-)