Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable flash guns in contemporary photography - still important?
When I got into photography, I always had an interest in flashguns.  Not that I used them so much, but I had to own one.  Reasonably high powered to enable in-direct flash at ISO 100 or 200 if I wanted.

I still have a Metz 54 unit, but do not use it so much any more.  I am wondering whether these had their run and are today a dying breed.  Even when I have the flash with me - I prefer the images I get when not using the flash and tolerate the image degradation due to uping the ISO.  Since in general flash guns are not discussed so much any more, I am wondering, whether here is a general trend and flash photography is moving into the niches of photography.

enjoy
At the times of the flashguns, each camera manufacturer had one of them, I guess. And each press photographer of a small local newspaper had one attached to the big body he pulled out of his extremely big photobag. But with an additional lead battery, like the Metz 60 CT had, this was heavy stuff. Overpriced and highly powerful. But those were the ages when 800 ASA was really super-high speed, and 1600 ASA exotic, expensive and experimental.

Nowadays... well, I never liked flash, except in studio conditions with setup light. Colours were difficult, in smoky environment worse than without, we have faster lenses, more sensitive sensors, better focus condtions (sometimes AF sees in the night) and vibration reduction. I had some bad experiences with photographers pointing a flash into my face and I don't see me doing this. Flash is always hard to calculate in advance. I'm referring to the reflections and the proportions of over- and underexposed bits in the picture.

Since 30 years I prefer available light. I tried flashgun, but found it far too attracting attention and disturbing people. Excellent for newspaper work, reliable and enough light, but for the rest of photography?

In most situations I prefer available light but when I shoot some indoor shows I need a flash since in many situations the indoor light is not good .e.g. with shadows on model's face.

The impact of a lightsource, that is independant from the ambient light,

and which is fully under control of the photographer, has not been changed.

A good photograph needs good and interesting lighting at first ... the

importance of contemporary equippment is vastly exaggerated.

So, albeit it takes its time to get used to a flash (especially an off-camera-flash)

the time invested in learning the essentials really pays back.

Just my 2cts ... Rainer

Quote:When I got into photography, I always had an interest in flashguns.  Not that I used them so much, but I had to own one.  Reasonably high powered to enable in-direct flash at ISO 100 or 200 if I wanted.

I still have a Metz 54 unit, but do not use it so much any more.  I am wondering whether these had their run and are today a dying breed.  Even when I have the flash with me - I prefer the images I get when not using the flash and tolerate the image degradation due to uping the ISO.  Since in general flash guns are not discussed so much any more, I am wondering, whether here is a general trend and flash photography is moving into the niches of photography.

If you want to use your old flash with new digital bodies, be careful. Some have high voltages that might damage modern equipment. http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Flashes
Look at strobist for better ways to use flash guns
When I started I didn't like flash either, but the more I learned about it I realised how powerful it is to shape image, create emphasis, mood and depth. Often a plain environment can be brought to live by lighting it in an interesting way. Also, flashes have the ability to stop time much more effective than a short shutter speed. So, in a way, strobes and flashes and lighting gear in general is just a set of brushes in your toolbox. It's probably a tool that is more useful for photographers who want to create the photo, rather then just take it. And even then, there are fantastic photographers who create conceptual work who almost never use a flash, e.g. Sue Bryce.

I prefer to not use too much flash but they are indispensable at weddings once it's dark and also useful on bright days for fill light. You cant shoot high enough ISO to get a decent shot inside some churches or at night inside reception venues.

The best change lately has been the wireless TTL triggers - makes off camera flash quite easy and you get some really cool results.

For me it's practically a must have, as said, mainly as fill flah outdoors,but also indoors however I almost never use as direct flash but bounced.

light reflectors are extremely useful also, however you need someone to assist you outdoors they brilliantly replace the flah, indoors for portraits try bouncing the flah light on a golden/silver reflector and enjoy magic.

IMHO there are no do and dont, all depends on what you intend to do and how you are used to this equipment, a wedding isn't the best place to experiment with new gear and techniques, whatever technique you master will,work just fine.