Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preview: Canon EF 35mm f/2 USM IS
http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/canon35f2is

Some very nice images, regardless of lens performance  Smile

Edit: is the shot of the waterfall in the jungle hand-held? Sharpness seems excellent for 1/8s

Klaus, thanks for your update.

I don't know what the charts are showing, but by looking the landscape shots both lenses look about the same.

Comparing just the images you linked from the EF 35/2 IS and from the Sigma 35/1.4,

I have to say, I find the images taken with the Canon more inspired. That is probably

due to the scenery available in the moment you had the lens ... at least partly. For

myself, I often find, if a lens is a joy to use, the pictures taken with it turn out better,

somehow at least.

Just a subjective observation ... Rainer

PS: If that's the remnants of the "London Bridge" in picture 6, it seems

you spend some days around the "great ocean road" ... some really

nice spots to take photographs there.

Quote:Some very nice images, regardless of lens performance  Smile

Edit: is the shot of the waterfall in the jungle hand-held? Sharpness seems excellent for 1/8s

Yes, this one was taken handheld.
Quote:Comparing just the images you linked from the EF 35/2 IS and from the Sigma 35/1.4,

I have to say, I find the images taken with the Canon more inspired. That is probably

due to the scenery available in the moment you had the lens ... at least partly. For

myself, I often find, if a lens is a joy to use, the pictures taken with it turn out better,

somehow at least.

Just a subjective observation ... Rainer

PS: If that's the remnants of the "London Bridge" in picture 6, it seems

you spend some days around the "great ocean road" ... some really

nice spots to take photographs there.

Yes, the Canon lens had the luck of being taken to the great ocean road and Bouddi NP.

The Sigma just made it to the local backyard. 
Hello Klaus

What a place! Where is it?

Regarding the lens:

Is that me or the bokeh does not look particularly good?
If you are referring to these "melting" sandstone formations - this is in Bouddi National Park just north of Sydney.

The arc island is in Port Campbell National Park to the west of Melbourne.

I'd say that the bokeh of the Canon lens is very good compared to others in this class (like the Sigma). Still - it's a wide angle lens and as such not perfect.

It would be really nice to see a side-by-side comparison of the same subject with the same settings.

The standard test has standard scenarios where the difference is easily visible.

The Sigma test should be online on Saturday, the Canon on Sunday.