Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Fujinon XF 23mm f/1.4
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130905.html

Rather pricey it seems (850$)

Yeah, but it's not out of line for a 35mm equivalent lens: Sony asks 1100$ (currently discounted to $900), Olympus asks $500 and both a slower at f1.8.

However, I will be holding out until reviews come in: I am not that impressed by the samples Fuji posted, especially when it comes to bokeh wide open.

Actually, the bokeh looks pretty good for a 35mm FF equivalent. I certainly like it, and it seems to be nicer than the Sigma 35mm f1.4, bokeh wise (not too hard). Of course, it only is a 35mm f2.1 FF equivalent. But most 35mm f2 FF lenses are not super awesome bokeh wise, either. 

Would be interesting to compare it with a Canon EF 35mm f2 IS USM on FF.

Will be back to testing from next week.

Isn't a little bit two weighty for a prime for a mirrorless camera?

Quote:Isn't a little bit two weighty for a prime for a mirrorless camera?
It only weighs 300 grams... Is that considered heavy nowadays??
Quote:It only weighs 300 grams... Is that considered heavy nowadays??
Yes.
I looks like the mirror-less flock is least forgiving when it comes to weight. Big Grin

I just got one on Friday. The lens is larger than the other Fuji offerings, at least fixed focal lengths.  However it is much smaller and lighter than the Canon 35mm 1.4.  It is sharp, very sharp. I think that the size of this lens has more to do with vignet or perspective control than anything else.  As I stated it is larger and a little heavier, but it will be my go to lens for a while I think.  The 1.4 is very handy for street style shooting. 

I own the 14, 23, 35, 60, 18-55, and 55-200.  Of all of them this is the focal length that I have most interested in.  I shot for years with a Canon FF and a 35 1.4.  The Canon was amazing and did a great job, but this set up is about 1/3 the weight, and million times more practical.  The bokeh is not quite as dramatic, but for the comfort of using this combo that is a sacrifice that I am willing to make.

Quote:I just got one on Friday. The lens is larger than the other Fuji offerings, at least fixed focal lengths.  However it is much smaller and lighter than the Canon 35mm 1.4.  It is sharp, very sharp. I think that the size of this lens has more to do with vignet or perspective control than anything else. 
Perspective control??

Quote:As I stated it is larger and a little heavier, but it will be my go to lens for a while I think.  The 1.4 is very handy for street style shooting. 

I own the 14, 23, 35, 60, 18-55, and 55-200.  Of all of them this is the focal length that I have most interested in.  I shot for years with a Canon FF and a 35 1.4.  The Canon was amazing and did a great job, but this set up is about 1/3 the weight, and million times more practical.  The bokeh is not quite as dramatic, but for the comfort of using this combo that is a sacrifice that I am willing to make.
You should compare it to the Canon EF 35mm f2 or EF 35mm f2 IS USM, as it is a 23 x 1.5 = ~35mm 1.4 x 1.5 = f2.1 FF equivalent.. Of course it is less heavy and has less blur wide open than an f.4 FF lens.

It is not smaller or lighter than the 35mm f2 lenses, but you do have a smaller and lighter combo with the camera body.