Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch?
Except the bit with PS, I'm walking on the same path. And if a version of Aperture becomes real and worth to update from 10.6.8 - I don't need cloud features - then I will update my OS and Aperture. But these times I'm really careful to change the systems. And those RAWs I get from G11 don't happen in large numbers so I'm still fine with C1 on that.
A lot of folks aren't confident there *will* be a next version of Aperture.  Or that it will offer what it needs to even if it does come about.  Tony Sweet, top photo professional and an Apple fan, recently announced his switch to Lightroom.  That said a lot to me.

Hi

It seems there is still a lot of guessing, but no real solution to the issues.  It seems everyone with the needs to get distortion correction for a raw enabled P&S is just using other software as a work around.

With respect to people switching, Apple needs to be careful.  Once folk is gone they are gone.  It will not be easy to make them come back.  The same as with cameras.  Changing system (e.g. mount) is a pain.  Once they are in your competitor's "eco-system" you will not get them back so easy.

I am still not sure what to do.  Had a look at darkroom and didn't like it.  If I get a Nikon P&S, I think ViewNX2 might be a way to get the raw preprocessed.  The files I played with looked really nice when converted in ViewNX2.

Best wishes

Joachim

enjoy
Switching camera systems is a costly piece of cake compared against switching DAM with some thousands of pictures which will loose all edit data. Therefore I care for a tiny rest of hope... let's Ommmmmm together  :blink:

There were rumors about a new version of Aperture earlier this year, but according to those it was delayed (for whatever reason). Personally, I think the introduction of the new Mac Pro would be a good opportunity to release it.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

If they bring Aperture up to date, I'd be willing to get a Mac Pro  Rolleyes

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller mentioned "a new version of Aperture designed to take advantage of the throughput of the new Mac Pro" during the presentation of the Mac Pro.

http://www.apple.com/de/apple-events/october-2013/ @35:30

[update:]

It's already on the App Store, v3.5 requiring OSX 10.9.

But no distortion correction function, it seems.

Thanks a lot, Kodachrome. I was already willing to update to Mavericks, but jumping from 10.6.8 to the (free of costs! Smile ) 10.9 is something I leave the early adopters to do. after one or two weeks and not much yelling and cursing of them, I queue in to download.

I already was a bit early and have troubles now with an iPod. It's sometimes good, to try the toys first Wink  

Got a separate partition for those experiments... Unfortunately no time to play around for at least 2 weeks. So I'll leave it to the early adopters, too.
Well, the app Aperture itself isn't the big problem for me, just the transfer from the old 3.2.4 to 3.5 will need various adjustments in my library and before I throw my main lib into that process, I have to try with a smaller one. There will be a lot of goodbyes - the nice folder/album/project icon-colours against the stylish-but-dull-grey stuff of the new OS and the new AA.

I think I have to take a glimpse before I leave the trusty shores of good old 10.6.8  :wacko: