Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch?
Quote:Believe it or not: Aperture became the main reason I stuck with Apple. And this decision is the last proof to me, they are these days nothing more than another greedy, visionless bunch of stupid blokes like any other IT related company. My next PC will be an ordinary, grey, unsexy and cheap Windows machine. It's pointless to pay their mad prices anymore. At the moment I hate those suckers in Cupertino and feel sorry for them at the same time.

I agree for the most part. Aperture, and later the seamless integration of iPhone & MacBook were my reasons to buy into and stick to Apple. I bought a new MacBook Pro earlier this year. It's a nicely crafted notebook and the screen is very good, too, but OS X is driving me nuts with its focus on mainstream (=stupid?) consumers. It won't even let me set a custom resolution and aspect ratio when connecting the MacBook to my old plasma TV!!! WTF?  :blink: Dear Apple, ease of use should NOT come at the cost of configurability & productive capabilities. Thank you.

With no Aperture X on the horizon, I feel like I wasted quite a lot of money on this machine... Things like a Surface Pro 3 look so much more interesting right now. The new photos app will be just like all the other new Apple products. It will be easy to use for beginners, but totally lacking in depth.
It's clear that Apple turned itself from a computer maker to a consumer device maker - more precisely, their vision is that the computer is an appliance. While this makes sense for a relevant number of users, they should have kept a "pro" line, but they did not. My current laptop was bought in early 2013, but I chose the late 2011 model, because it can be still customised (you can easily open it, change the hard disk, upgrade the memory, replace the optical unit with a second disk). This is what I call "pro" approach, as I often need to tune my stuff. This capability has completely gone away when Retina models have been introduced. My current laptop should live up to early 2017 (*) so at the moment I'm not thinking too loud about what's next. But it's a problem.

BTW, there's a commentary of Thom Hogan which sounds more positive:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/so...-dust.html

But the point is that, even in the best case, I don't want to go to the cloud, I'm not minimally interested in sharing or editing my photos with a iPhone or iPad (which I don't own), so Apple's direction is clearly different from what I want. My fear is that Adobe could follow them soon.

(*) Hopefully. In the last four months it broke twice and costed me 600€ of repair (the second repair was in warranty). 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Hi

I am still using aperture to this day. When starting with aperture I compared it against LR. I found that the out-of-the-box performance with Olympus ORF files (E-300 and E-P1) was vastly superior to LR with regards to colour. Adobe sucks big time on the reds from an E-300. I understand many people prefer aperture over the Adobe solutions for Fuji X-trans files.

I am still trying to understand what this all means. Nobody seems to know what Photos (the proposed follow on solution)on a Mac can and can't do. This is badly handled by Apple and puts severe question marks with regards to their professionality as a software house. If Photos was a good solution they should show us now. One can't let the existing customer base with long catalogs in aperture down like this. It wreaks your reputation for years.

There was some talk on help regarding transitioning to LR. Don't know what is behind. How - with the above mentioned differences in colour - should one be able to move catalogs with processed RAW files into e.g. Adobe.

Regarding I-clouds - I see little point of putting my image library of several 100 GB there - only for Barack Obama and the NSA to be able to look at it.
enjoy
Quote:BTW, there's a commentary of Thom Hogan which sounds more positive:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/so...-dust.html

But the point is that, even in the best case, I don't want to go to the cloud, I'm not minimally interested in sharing or editing my photos with a iPhone or iPad (which I don't own), so Apple's direction is clearly different from what I want. My fear is that Adobe could follow them soon.

<p style="margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Thanks again, stoppingdown. That article was a good reason to take another glance on the screenshot. After hitting ⌘+ twice, the controls are really the ones I'm used to, with some of them minimized.

<p style="margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Now, I've to take back my lament (except the bit with the greedy blokes  Rolleyes ). It does make sense to bring iPhoto and Aperture together and I really don't mind about that name, Photos or iDAM or whatever, as long as
  • the usability is not worse
  • the editing tools remains on the level I'm used to or improves a bit
  • the organization of the lib remains on the level I'm used to or improves a bit
  • no iCloud or whatever the next coming dead horse is named is needed
  • faces and places remain still available
It does make sense to give up iPhoto. If this "Photos" is replacing it and they use it as part of the OS on the level of Aperture functionality and include it on a new Mac, I'm onboard again. Their first step already was to use iPhoto and Aperture libs in each app, which itself is a cool feature. Now, if the new app would be able to manage the transfer from old iPhoto and bring the edited duplicates back to one master file with editing values - means, read the values for the copy and adjust the master, after that delete the copy - that would save me some diskspace. Something in my guts is telling me, I'm expecting a bit too much.

In the beginning of my Apple user career I enjoyed iPhoto very much. So some pictures could be migrated without the fuss to adapt the editings an delete the copies. I don't like to do things twice.

joachim, who tells you, NSA is not already reading your tags? Imagine this genius idea: developing faces and places, make it easy to apply (as I hear, Picasa and facebook also allow nametags?) and waiting until one tags "Osama" or "Edward S.". Then look at the machine, check the place and date and get another HQ pic of one. It's a playground for each kind of abuse and I'm certain it's worse than our fantasies.

But what to do? Stopping photographing? It would certainly save some money, but once discovered the beauty of that, I'd miss an important part in life.
@joachim Regarding LR, I wasn't satisfied the way it rendered my NEX-6 photos. For a few months I had to heavily tweak the sliders, more than I do, with selective channels. The same problem already happened in the past with my Nikon D5000, but the camera lasted for a short time since I crashed it and replaced with a D5100. The colour rendering of the D5100 was fine.

In any case I solved the problem buying the XRite ColorChecker Passport and creating a couple of custom profiles. Now everything is fine. 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
My abilities of detecting an Aperture scrreenshot as an Aperture screenshot are pretty poor. I draw some comfort out of it, thinking this was the concept of Photos. I'm referring to this article and since I never used the 3.5 version and also not in fullscreen mode, I didn't recognize it's old Aperture. How could I be so stupid? After seeing what they did with iTunes 11 there's no hope of getting a remotely similar like AA working Photos app.

So back to panic mode.

Yesterday night I tried to import an Aperture library into Capture One 9. Successfully, I must admit.  Smile A lot of settings were transferred and the Fuji raw files look pretty good.

That's one of the cool new features of C1. Also, the slliders are less hard to aim at. All in all Phase One is on a good track, I just don't see myself buying this Media Pro additionally for a steeep price. Minus face detection...

Quote:Yesterday night I tried to import an Aperture library into Capture One 9. Successfully, I must admit.  Smile A lot of settings were transferred and the Fuji raw files look pretty good.

That's one of the cool new features of C1. Also, the slliders are less hard to aim at. All in all Phase One is on a good track, I just don't see myself buying this Media Pro additionally for a steeep price. Minus face detection...

Had you converted your library to photos before?  I read that this can create havoc for importing aperture libraries into non apple software.
enjoy
No. I don't use Photos at all. I just imported a small library (=catalog) after I created a new one in C1 9. It's a Beta-version and at first it crashed because I hit an "OK"-button in a dialog window telling me the catalog was imported - it's better to wait after all activities stopped. My second attempt is bit bigger and there was again that OK button but this time it didn't crash. Yet. 

The C1 catalog of the Aperture library is about 630 MB, while the library with all files has a size of over 9 GB. So I think, C1 can look into the library.

There was an information about what will be considered:

projects, folders, albums - but no intelligent albums, they would need to be converted (and that means it's a one way ticket... Sad )

Crops, rotations, mirrorings (didn't know Aperture can mirror pictures... Rolleyes maybe not)

Exposure, brightness, lights and shadows, definition, saturation, black and white (not sure what the last means - BW pics or black point and highlight recovery?)

colour adjustments are only approxmative.

Could be worse... I recommend us three Aperture users to give it a try - of course, it's really limited, but unlike Aperture Capture One still has a future.

The one thing I do like from Capture one is the ability to correct instead of mask LoCA (DPP can do that too, but only with Canon lenses).