Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch?
Now I look back to 14 months using two DAMs, "managing" files from new cameras in Capture One and all until D800 in Aperture. It's less pain than using Mavericks and new AA to me, but still... I don't want to use Media Pro for Capture One. But I have to do something about photo management, the starting time (for clicking the icon until being ready to work on a picture) in C1 has become 3 minutes, while Aperture (antique) is ready to work in about 25 seconds and keeping 7 times more pictures in it's biggest library. Oh, and the newest Capture One version doesn't support OS 10.6.8 any longer. I tried it, it was not working as C1 7.1.6 - so no more updates for me, once more.

So I tried Supreme Photo although such a name triggers some of my prejudices.

There's a trial version of 30 days and it's nothing I install and delete again after first glance.

I do feel at home because the interface is well done and reminds me to some of AA's better features. It's fast - after 20 seconds I can start editing.

Edit tools are not as sophisticated as in C1 or AA, but managing pictures is neatly done. Geotagging and keywording are very good as far as I can tell after only two hours playing with it. There's a Mac version and two Windows versions - the bigger one has networking capabilities. I can add as much external editors as I want - unfortunately I'm a fan of "one should do all I need", keeping the RAWs and editing procedures separately and only by exporting the final picture it will become JPG or tiff.

My first impression is "something like a better iPhoto", more connectivity to non-Apple products, very fast, better UI than MediaPro (at least at the look of their screenshots) and some potential to become an interesting DAM. Good for people who shoot in RAW, want to tag their photos and find them again. Not so good for people who sometimes need a great tool set to edit - that's where C1 and AA do shine. Nothing for people who need lens-profiles. Nothing for people who want face recognition - is there only AA able to do that? Really?

Messages In This Thread
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch? - by scottburgess - 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch? - by JJ_SO - 02-22-2014, 09:10 AM