Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Photozone so late with tests on Alpha mount lenses
I wait and wait to see if Photozone do some tests on lenses by Sigma, Samyang, Tamron and other manufactors for alpha mount lenses. But it seems that i´m waiting in vain for this. So whats the reason for this ?

Unfortunately Sony Alpha has currently no priority - just like Pentax and Canon EOS M.

I regret this for sure but the market share is simply very low and this is something we cannot change.

As a matter of fact, Sony & Pentax reviews do not recover the invested costs.
But why do you review Sony NEX. In my opinion they are only usable for the NEX 7 and most probably the sensor properties for the next NEX 7 will changed too. In my opinion you could used the time better for other systems like Sony Alpha.

Quote:But why do you review Sony NEX. In my opinion they are only usable for the NEX 7 and most probably the sensor properties for the next NEX 7 will changed too. In my opinion you could used the time better for other systems like Sony Alpha.
Agree with that
The ranking among the NEX7 reviews remains the same on the NEX6 or 5n - even assuming that the NEX7 sensor has a higher edge dampening. The dampening function is not chaotic.

Thinking about it - it may be worth a thought to introduce community sponsored tests.

Quote:Unfortunately Sony Alpha has currently no priority - just like Pentax and Canon EOS M.

I regret this for sure but the market share is simply very low and this is something we cannot change.

As a matter of fact, Sony & Pentax reviews do not recover the invested costs.

Out of curiosity: May I ask what the cost model is? Ad-revenue from a specific page against the cost of buying - selling the lens used to create that page? I assume there are additional costs for servers, general costs etc.

You used to be able to get loans from the user community. I assume that is not so easy any more since moving to the.kangaroos. Or is that not the issue?

Any more luck with loaners from the Australien importers? Since the speak English and you publish in English that might be easier than with Olympus Germany.
enjoy
Quote:I wait and wait to see if Photozone do some tests on lenses by Sigma, Samyang, Tamron and other manufactors for alpha mount lenses. But it seems that i´m waiting in vain for this. So whats the reason for this ?

The reason is that you can simply check the Sigma, Tamron, Samyang results in the Nikon or Canon sections.  The lenses and their properties are the same, just different mounts.  The results will be very similar (*) whether on Nikon, Canon, Alpha, Pentax, etc...if it's good on one, then it will be good on another, etc.  There is no point in re-testing them on every mount...that would just take a valuable opportunity to test more interesting native lenses on the less popular mounts such as Alpha and Pentax.  

*These comments apply to the mirror-box-mount full-frame and APS-C results.  The basic mount geometry and pixel pitch is really similar between all the systems.  With the smaller sensors (i.e. Nikon 1) or very short flange distances (NEX, Leica) then some other issues come up.
Quote:Out of curiosity: May I ask what the cost model is? Ad-revenue from a specific page against the cost of buying - selling the lens used to create that page? I assume there are additional costs for servers, general costs etc.

You used to be able to get loans from the user community. I assume that is not so easy any more since moving to the.kangaroos. Or is that not the issue?

Any more luck with loaners from the Australien importers? Since the speak English and you publish in English that might be easier than with Olympus Germany.

Well,  ad-revenue over time minus (costs plus invested time * x) = result.

Community - yes, it's smaller here with all the consequences. But this isn't a major issue - the costs after selling lenses on ebay are not THAT high.

Importers - I have given up in this respect. But again, this is the lesser issue. A market share of sub 3% is the problem.
Quote:Well, ad-revenue over time minus (costs plus invested time * x) = result.

Community - yes, it's smaller here with all the consequences. But this isn't a major issue - the costs after selling lenses on ebay are not THAT high.

Importers - I have given up in this respect. But again, this is the lesser issue. A market share of sub 3% is the problem.

Thanks.
enjoy