Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to destroy your equipment during a solar eclipse
There's a blog post about the topic at LensRentals:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09...e-of-2017/

While there's a quite a large diversity of the kind of damages (always burns, but in different parts of the equipment), they say they were impressed that the number of incidents was low, after all.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Most of it Canon equipment - which might be a coincidence or a hint how widespread Canon is. That's the downside of making (usually) reliable equipment to use in tough conditions - cutomers tend to switch off thinking carefully. But honestly: who of us would have thought aperture blades could melt? Although it's logical that they are no longer made of metal (and even metal melts...)

No longer made of metal?

When did that happen?    My God we now have plastic easy melt diaphragm blades...on a Canon 600mm F4 expensive monster.....is nothing sacred?

no idea, but metal foils in the range of few 1/100 mm also don't resist long if you focus a very hot light beam on them. The sun-shots into the sensors were also pretty impressive.

Switching to mirrorless I'm even more careful, because with the mirror I was primarily worried about my eyes; now that my eyes are safe, there's the risk that I forget about the equipment. I do shoot into the sun, but always mentally counting a timeout before giving up. Of course I'm talking about generic photography with the sun in the frame, and not eclipse or sun-focused (no pun intended) photos...

Did you note the final statement about the fact that insurance doesn't cover this kind of damage? A few people will long remember this eclipse...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
And did you also read the statement that a there were given instructions and saftey advices? I think ALL the people remembering  this eclipse for a while, are allergic to manuals  Huh And allergies are always expensive...

Yes. I read it. Once in a while, it's a reasonable position for an insurance company. BTW, even if one doesn't read the fucking manual, there's plenty of advice on the web about how to deal with eclipses...

stoppingdown.net

Yes, but one needs to see the possibility "I'm maybe not Mr. Know-it-all, so I better get myself informed"

And it was not the insurance which created safety warnings, it was LensRentals and they put some effort into it. Without that, I'm sure it could have been worse, but when you see POTUS  watching the eclipse without any protection, it says something about the mentality. "If I get hurt I gonna sue the sun and become richt"

I don't believe POTUS actually watched the eclipse without any protection. In fact, either he should have suffered from a severe eye problem (it's also not young), and we would have been informed, or he is Superman and can look into the sun. I think he was photographed looking up and the newspapers did the rest.

PS Just to play in the open Tongue : I'd have wished for a much better POTUS, but I consider Trump the lesser evil, by far.

stoppingdown.net

You don't believe? Right, then I watched FAKE NEWS again, stupid me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/...-funniest/

B)  :lol: