Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you think of this ?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomo...trait-lens

?

Funny idea, but nonsensical execution. No reason to to put a normal modern aperture diagram in, no reason for the crude brass housing and no reason for the silly focussing mechanism... 

Sometimes it can be nice/fun to use imperfect old optics, but this execution shows very poor skill?

Well, the black version looks 'conventional'.

But I agree - I upon first look it felt a little too retro.

I'm undecided whether the bokeh is a good or bad thing. 

Well, it's "classic" bokeh... some like it that way, some don't.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hi,

This is surely for the esoteric photographer who has a surplus of money and who is fond of gambling (and used to loosing) and who likes unusual retro gizmos. The fact one has to "invest" before receiving the lens must be a sign of the banking times, and Zenith? all very strange! No doubt that the apertures are round though,  We'll just have to wait to see if it appears.

Dave's clichés

Quote:Well, the black version looks 'conventional'.

But I agree - I upon first look it felt a little too retro.

I'm undecided whether the bokeh is a good or bad thing. 
True that the black mockup looks more conventional, but the silly focussing knob remains. No way to support the camera/lens while focussing.

The characterful bokeh... is just that, characterful. Just kinda like with the large aperture 50mm's (Nikon, Canon, Leica) it can be charming, but never "subtle"...
I've never seen so many uses of the word "swirly" before until then. I don't get this lens either. They're taking a defect and selling it? Ok, you get an interesting effect but it is a bit much for a one trick lens I think.

On a side note, I have noticed when using extension tubes on the EF 50mm f/1.8 for example, that gives it quite strong field curvature. I wonder if putting a negative power group on the front of a conventional lens then extending it could give a similar effect at much lower cost? If I'm bored I might try that this weekend.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Hi Klaus,

500euros for a 85mm f/2.2 with extremely ugly bokeh

and more than extreme field curvature?

If you're a collector (or fetishist) of old lenses, you might

eventually want this in your collection ... in all other cases,

I simply regard this as a complete waste of time and money.

Rainer

Too expensive; go with the sigma 85f1.4 or symang 85f1.4

Quote:I've never seen so many uses of the word "swirly" before until then. I don't get this lens either. They're taking a defect and selling it? Ok, you get an interesting effect but it is a bit much for a one trick lens I think.

On a side note, I have noticed when using extension tubes on the EF 50mm f/1.8 for example, that gives it quite strong field curvature. I wonder if putting a negative power group on the front of a conventional lens then extending it could give a similar effect at much lower cost? If I'm bored I might try that this weekend.
Not unless those additions give loads of spherical aberrations...