Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestion for upgrading Camera
Quote:Yesterday evening to best buy and tried different cameras. When I went into DSLR section, it was really trying to change my mind to adopt one of them. Pictures were sharp and they had some kind of (visible) depth in their picture. That was looking more natural in comparison to other compact cameras. Even high end compact camera like NEX series was not giving that natural depth of picture. I don't know, technically what this term is called. DSLR was giving a very natuiral picture, but clear, whereas other compact camera were giving picture as it is sharp fine, but more painted. Is this difference only visible on LCD of camera, or on real picture also this kind of difference will be there ? Or am I just feeling it because I am impressed with term "DSLR" :-) ?

I checked few other cameras there. I checked about Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 but they didn't knew its price. RX100 is out of my list. They didn't had Canon EOS-M, but I think it is not closer to Canon 100D. Am I thinking correctly ? Prices are far different.
The LUMIX FZ72 was announced today. http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/18/...tical-zoom  list price 399 US$, not in shops yet I'd guess.

Yes, EOS-M is not being sold much in the US.

The sensor of the EOS-M is virtually the same as the 100D.

you can compare different cameras and lenses online

http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.386,3...8.377,ha,t

this comparison shows how much you can save by getting rid of the mirror box (and flash), but they have the same size sensor (APS-C).    Same size sensor is also in Nex and Samsung (and Canon Rebel dSLR, and consumer Nikon dSLR)

The difference between Nex and dSLR, they have same sized sensor, so the difference you see is only the back LCD, or possibly different lenses.   Maybe some dSLR had a "fast" 50mm f1.8 lens on it that gave a more 3D look because background was out of focus.  This is depth of field (DOF), see examples here (bottles) http://www.photoaxe.com/examples-for-und...-of-field/

P&S cameras have very big DOF (almost everything is sharp). On larger sensors (mirror-less/dSLR), with the right lens, you can narrow DOF, and good subject isolation (your subject is sharp, background not).     larger sensors have more DOF. larger apertures on lens give more DOF.
This really make sense. After learning more from experts post, I realised that my question and preference is changed now. I think, I should edit and repost my question as below. Please consider this.

I m not a <a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">professional photographer</a>, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on internet and somewhat confused about, what should be better for me.

I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.

My preferences will be --

- I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. I will go for non-<a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">dslr's</a> if I can get same <a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">image quality</a> in them.

- My photography will not be in sports/actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.

- I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.

- Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.

- Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.

- I may not go beyond 750$.

- Not sure, if I plan to choose a photography class sometime later, will it require to have DSLR ?

- <a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">Wifi</a>, GPS not required.

If I am understanding correctly, below camera will give me almost equivalent image as DSLR's

Sony NEX-5/6.
<a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">Samsung</a> NX300/NX1000.

Fuji X-M1 - Price not known, but I saw some very good reviews on internet. Likely to be released in August.
<a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">Panasonic LUMIX</a> FZ72 - Not yet in stores, so can't see how it looks in hands.
<a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">Sony Alpha</a> SLT series.

If I need to do too much compromise, I can opt for DSLR (light-weighted). Minimum I can see is Canon 100D. Except this one, others will go till 750 grams (including lens).

Few of my (better photographer than me) friends suggested that, why I shouldn't go for DSLR's if I am ready to pay 700$ in compact/mirrorless/bridge <a class="" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#">cameras</a>. Not sure, if this question is worth thinking.

I am new to this field and so many reviews posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.

Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will narrow down my list and read more on them
Just a side comment - the 16mp and 24mp sensor used in NEX cameras is also used in Sony, Nikon & Pentax DSLRs.

There is more to the final result than just the sensor itself so the final results vary also among the DSLRs.

However, technically a mirrorless camera is essentially just a DSLR without a space taking mirror & optical viewfinder plus a different AF module (simplistically speaking).

Or in other words - as far as the sensor components are concerned, Sony surely puts the same building blocks into their NEX mirrorless as well as into the Alpha DSLRs/SLTs. Thus the difference in image quality just can't be dramatic here. Things are getting more complex when taking the lens discussion into account (e.g. many of the NEX lenses are not so hot).

If I go with your point, being almost same sensor, I should put and compare Sony Alpha SLT and NEX-5/6 in a separate category. Though A56/57 series is as bulky as normal DSLRs.

Samsung NX300 - Seen mix reviews

Fuji X-M1 - yet to release

DSLRs - Separate category.

Do you wish to comment on specific models ? I am going with reviews of each model, but it is really mixing my mind to narrow down,

On a different direction, if I want to reduce weight of DSL, how about if I purchase only body T3i + 40 mm lens (instead of its default kit lense). Will it make a bad difference in regards to image or wide angle ?

The difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless is the auto focus. This is important for action but the auto focus of the entry level DSLR are not that hot.

What about the entry level model of a mirrorless like a Nex 3N or a GF7. For the rest of your budget you could buy a extra lens like the 50/1.8 for Nex or the 20/1.7 for m43. They are not the best lenses in the world but I use for example the 50/1.8 very often because the blur(bokeh) looks so good. I printed 75x50 cm photos which was very detailed. Yes there are lenses which are a little bit sharper but do you print that big? You see lenses are very important, not only the camera.

You have different demands like size, performance, flexibility and price. You should be careful not to over weight one.

And believe me your camera will be outdated in 2-3 years so it makes not so much sense to invest to much money in a 'higher' model. But you will still takes beautiful images if learn the the art of image composing. So maybe a non technical photo book would be a good investment.
Quote:This really make sense. After learning more from experts post, I realised that my question and preference is changed now. I think, I should edit and repost my question as below. Please consider this.

I m not a professional photographer, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on internet and somewhat confused about, what should be better for me.

I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.

My preferences will be --

- I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. I will go for non-dslr's if I can get same image quality in them.

- My photography will not be in sports/actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.

- I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.

- Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.

- Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.

- I may not go beyond 750$.

- Not sure, if I plan to choose a photography class sometime later, will it require to have DSLR ?

- Wifi, GPS not required.

If I am understanding correctly, below camera will give me almost equivalent image as DSLR's

Sony NEX-5/6.
Samsung NX300/NX1000.

Fuji X-M1 - Price not known, but I saw some very good reviews on internet. Likely to be released in August.
Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - Not yet in stores, so can't see how it looks in hands.
Sony Alpha SLT series.

If I need to do too much compromise, I can opt for DSLR (light-weighted). Minimum I can see is Canon 100D. Except this one, others will go till 750 grams (including lens).

Few of my (better photographer than me) friends suggested that, why I shouldn't go for DSLR's if I am ready to pay 700$ in compact/mirrorless/bridge cameras. Not sure, if this question is worth thinking.

I am new to this field and so many reviews posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.

Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will narrow down my list and read more on them

Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 , no this camera has a much smaller sensor, probably like your P&S camera. However, it does have a lens that would cover what you want to shoot in one single lens, i.e. landscape and wildlife.  What it will not give you is the subject isolation that you can achieve with cameras that have larger sensors combined with a fast lens (e.g. a 50mm f1.8 lens).

Sony Alpha SLT series. are essentially dSLR.

dSLR are digital cameras with a mirror box that allows you to view the scene that you are taking the picture off through the lens itself using the viewfinder- with the help of the mirror. These cameras also have fast autofocus modules.  The currently available dSLRs offer also "liveview", i.e. you can take a picture by looking at the back LCD, like on your current Lumix camera. In most cameras (except Sony SLT), the mirror moves up out of the light path for this to work.  Disadvantage of this: if it is bright outside, it's difficult to see the screen, and you have to hold the camera away from your body, which make cause more handshaking and unsteady photographs.        Common dSLRs at this point use two different sensor sizes: APS-C (crop), and FF (full frame), which is the same size as the old slide/negative film format (36x24mm).

Read here a bit on sensor size:

http://www.gizmag.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

Mirrorless cameras (Sony Nex, Canon EOS-M, m43 (Panasonic, Olympus), Nikon 1, etc.) do away with the mirror box, which gives the advantage in size I described above.    There are different sensor sizes involved again, with Nikon 1 being quite a bit smaller than the others.  However, as mentioned, the Nex and EOS-M sensors are the same size (APS-C) and will give essentially the same image quality as the corresponding dSLRs model.   So, the EOS-M has essentially the same sensor as the Rebel T5i, SL1, 60D, and 7D.     Sony has different sensors (with different MPs), but they are used both in NEX and SLT cameras.

m43 sensors are a bit smaller.

The fact that the mirror is missing in these cameras means you have no normal viewfinder to look through. So either you need to take the picture using the back LCD screen, like your P&S camera (with all its disadvantages), or with some mirrorless cameras you have an electronic viewfinder - either built-in or as separate attachment - to look at the scene and take the picture. Electronic viewfinders are also used in bridge cameras like the Lumix FZ72. The image quality is usually not as good as a real optical viewfinder, and this extra feature makes your mirrorless camera also a bit bigger again. That's why in the most compact mirrorless cameras the electronic viewfinder is omitted to save space.
I consider Samsung NX300 as one of the best mirrorless cameras right now, and considering it's price, it's the best one.

I'd also look at Pentax Q7. For $700 you can get dual zoom kit which is 23-69/2.8-4.5 and 69-207/2.8 in a very light package.

Quote:I consider Samsung NX300 as one of the best mirrorless cameras right now, and considering it's price, it's the best one.

I'd also look at Pentax Q7. For $700 you can get dual zoom kit which is 23-69/2.8-4.5 and 69-207/2.8 in a very light package.
But given the small sensor of the Q7, couldn't one then just go with a bridge camera like the <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#" title="External link">LUMIX</a> FZ72?
Quote:But given the small sensor of the Q7, couldn't one then just go with a bridge camera like the <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14405#" title="External link">LUMIX</a> FZ72?
Yes, but it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. You can also adapt 3rd party lenses to Q for extreme telephoto. And there is also a fish-eye for it, which costs only $100.

Yugi, but Pentax Q7 is yet to come. May take 2 more months to be available in market.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have narrowed down my choices. And here it is what I think -

Panasonic G6 is not available os of now. Do we know, when it is goign to be for sale ?

I can see on Amazon, Panasonic DMC-G5KK is there. Are there major difference between G5 and G6, if I can go with first one ? G5 is more than 200$ lower than G6. Another question about G5/6, it doesn't have Image Stabilization. Does it make a big difference ?

Olympus EPL-5 - I couldn't found this in stores. Need to check out more stores to see it physically.

Canon EOS M - Was reading about it and few blogs say that it is having auto-focus problem. Is it true ?

Sony Alpha SLT-A57 - Few blogs says it is 750+ grams (which equal to usual DSLR) and some says it is lighter. Not

getting correct weight.

Above is at one category. ORELSE, I will go with Canon T3i.

What are your thoughts please ? Am I on righ track ?