Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New expensive toys coming from Canon (lenses)
TS-E 50mm f2.8 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 12 elements in 9 groups, 945 grams.

TS-E 90mm f2.8 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 9 elements in 9 groups, 915 grams.

TS-E 135mm f4 L Macro. 1:2 max. magnification. 11 elements in 7 groups, 1110 grams.

EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM. 0.12x max. magnification. 14 elements in 10 groups, 1 aspherical element, 950 grams.

Always thought, "macro" means 1:1?

The 85/1.4 will make Canon shooters very happy, I guess. Compact, stablized, not too heavy (300 grams lighter than Sigma). A lens for a long time of fun with it, apparently?
Quote:Always thought, "macro" means 1:1?

The 85/1.4 will make Canon shooters very happy, I guess. Compact, stablized, not too heavy (300 grams lighter than Sigma). A lens for a long time of fun with it, apparently?
I guess then that is the reason Nikon named its 55mm f3.5 and f2.8 and 105mm f4 lenses micro, as they went to 1:2?  Tongue

Macro lenses almost all used to be 1:2, needing extension tubing to reach 1:1.
Well if price wasn't an issue and I can't justify such an investment, the 85f1.4 IS and TSE90mm would have been sweet acquisitions

Luckily the old TS-E 90mm f2.8 already is a pretty nice lens, with this new one the older ones may start to show up 2nd hand, for affordable prices?

Those TS-E lenses are from a product photographer's wet dream...

Quote:Those TS-E lenses are from a product photographer's wet dream...

Not only a product photographer.

Incredible control over the focus plane, and incredible bokeh come to mind, both behind and in front of the focus plane come to mind. I for one will start budgeting for these lenses, the TSEs that is Smile. I assume the new TS-Es will be the same as the existing ones in this regard Smile. These lenses, plus the MP-E, are, from a lens POV, why I went for Canon when moving to digital with my slrs Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
None of those are of any interest for me, but it's nice to see the lineup being expanded. Besides, an f/1.4 IS lens is probably a first (at least as far as sensor sizes larger than 4/3 go).

New images indicate that the 50mm offers upto 8 degrees tilt (like the 24mm) and the 135mm upto 10 degrees tilt.

I ask myself why they only go to 1:2 magnification?
Dave's clichés