Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New expensive toys coming from Canon (lenses)
Quote:      I ask myself why they only go to 1:2 magnification?
The lenses will become huge otherwise? You need the room for helicoids to move (parts of) the lenses even further way to reach 1:1. And the lenses already reserve a lot of space for the tilt/shift part. The same reason the Nikkor 85mm f2.8 PC-E micro reaches 1:2 max., probably.

Also, with 50mm you will get a very small working distance going to 1:1 with a TS-E construction. Something to consider. You will need ex extra 25mm extension would be required.

For the 90mm, you are looking at 45mm extra, and for 135mm 67.5mm extra.

The tilt is nice for closeups from for instance flowers, to get more of the flower in focus but with lots of background separation. Does one often need 1:1 for such things? Probably not. And if one does want it, an extension tube will do the job just fine.

The "outgoing" TS-E 90mm f2.8 reached 1:3.5.

Quote:The lenses will become huge otherwise? You need the room for helicoids to move (parts of) the lenses even further way to reach 1:1. And the lenses already reserve a lot of space for the tilt/shift part. The same reason the Nikkor 85mm f2.8 PC-E micro reaches 1:2 max., probably.

Also, with 50mm you will get a very small working distance going to 1:1 with a TS-E construction. Something to consider. You will need ex extra 25mm extension would be required.

For the 90mm, you are looking at 45mm extra, and for 135mm 67.5mm extra.

The tilt is nice for closeups from for instance flowers, to get more of the flower in focus but with lots of background separation. Does one often need 1:1 for such things? Probably not. And if one does want it, an extension tube will do the job just fine.

The "outgoing" TS-E 90mm f2.8 reached 1:3.5.

OK!

Dave's clichés
Quote:OK!

Just showing what's possible, I think an image I posted before:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

24L Mk I, at F/3.5, APS-C, minimum focus distance if I remember correctly.  This image I use often to demonstrate the tilt capabilities of this lens, and the awesome bokeh both beyond and before the (tilted) focus plane.

The 24Lii is even better. The 45 and 90 are absolutely great too. The only one I do not use for close-up and macro shots is the 17, although I shoot with it at close distance no problem, be it for other reasons.

If the magnification is not high enough, I never hesitate to use extension tubes, although 12mm is max on the 24L, as it si quite possible t have the object or parts o fit touching the front element Smile, and/or extenders, especially on the 90.

In short, looking forward to these new lenses Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
They've all been announced. $1600 for the 85/1.4 - frankly a lot less than many people had predicted; Canon has schooled us well to expect nothing but top price! - and $2200 for each of the T&S.

Poor Klaus...........................,,.....

That is the same price as the years old Nikkor AF-S 85mm f1.4 and $200 less than the Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM. Not thaaaat bad.

and just a tad more than Sigma 85/1.4 art

For that, it has stabilization and weighs a bit less. Ø 77 mm for the filters is another advantage for the Canon. I wish, Nikon would update their 85/1.4 as well. It's not up to the coming 46 MP D850, by quite a margin.

Quote:That is the same price as the years old Nikkor AF-S 85mm f1.4 and $200 less than the Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM. Not thaaaat bad.
The AF-S Nikkor was quite badass (per the PZ test), a huge improvement over the old AF-D. Wonder how good the new Canon is going to be? Of course the Canon users will stick to their own brand (or Sigma) and won't consider the Nikon anyway...
"WAS quite badass...", wanna do a rough guess which is badass and which it's ART-ass colleague?  ^_^

[Image: i-dhzBsCn.jpg]

With all due respect... you have different things in focus between these two pictures (and the DOF is very small). I have no horse in this race but just oughta point that out.