Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New expensive toys coming from Canon (lenses)
If nothing else the Nikon produces a messy distracting image full of LoCA while the sigma produce a very clean snappy picture. Surly you notice that difference ?

Quote:With all due respect... you have different things in focus between these two pictures (and the DOF is very small). I have no horse in this race but just oughta point that out.
@Rover: The different focus was depending on the Sigma in LiveView* and handheld and the Nikkor normal AF and handheld. I had no tripod with me at this Sigma testing day. It was - as you noticed - a quick and dirty shot. But I don't want to shoe the sharpness difference between the two lenses (which is visible wide open) but the massive ammount of LoCA of the Nikkor.

However, the Sigma 85/1.4 leaves only two things to the Nikkor: less weight. smaller filter. For the rest it rips the old Nikkor into pieces. Menawhile, the LoCAs became very hard to accept to me as I know today, it's possible to get a lens with much less of this flaw.

* at the event I had problems to adjust the Sigma's AFMA correctly, that was a reason to go into LV. +20 was not enough and I had no dock with me to correct better. I lateron told the distributor that I'd be careful to put this copy to rent. If one doesn't know how to adjust and how to use the dock, that copy will make customers unhappy. He didn't care - I got the same lens lateron to rent and it took me a while to adjust.

That Swiss distributor sits on a high throne, he's relying fully on Sigma's great quality while the quality of his own services is either expensive or poor or both.

Sample image from the Canon EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Looks to be good and sharp wide open, not APO (notice the green LoCA behind the focus plane), and appears to render very agreeable going from sharp to unsharp and also in the big blur.

All in all, looks like a very nice lens?

While hard to tell for sure; it seems very nice. While it might not be APO; at least in that sample image the loca is not too harsh (as shown with the nikor in this thread); however the image might not be representative as there is not a lot out of focus foreground; but the flower in the lower left gives some hint that it might be quite good.

Quote:Sample image from the Canon EF 85mm f1.4 L IS USM:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Looks to be good and sharp wide open, not APO (notice the green LoCA behind the focus plane), and appears to render very agreeable going from sharp to unsharp and also in the big blur.

All in all, looks like a very nice lens?
I know the Sigma is better than the Nikkor and yes, the latter has more CA, but I was saying that the pictures are not really comparable.

I think, they are: light is the same, aperture as well, perspective too. Focal plane is not the same - but even if so, that wouldn't save the Nikkor's aSs

Tongue