Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just in case you wonder
I'm not certain wether this function could be activated in camera or in the lens. I know I read something about the different efficiency (which was hightest when the OS didn't have to stabilize the finder view). Or was that with Fuji lenses? I'm somehow confused now.

Do you know how popular stabilized binoculars are? I could not tell. I guess if they are less popular then because these types mostly are more expensive and in higher grade binoculars which themselvs are more expensive - and if you're watching birds with them, you either use a tripod or a longer FL - and then a monocular.

Quote:I'm not certain wether this function could be activated in camera or in the lens. I know I read something about the different efficiency (which was hightest when the OS didn't have to stabilize the finder view). Or was that with Fuji lenses? I'm somehow confused now.

Do you know how popular stabilized binoculars are? I could not tell. I guess if they are less popular then because these types mostly are more expensive and in higher grade binoculars which themselvs are more expensive - and if you're watching birds with them, you either use a tripod or a longer FL - and then a monocular.
  That's right JoJu.......Tamron's VC is said to be at it's most efficient in mode 3....active in exposure only.

No, I'm not sure how well OS binoculars sell.......Canon and Fuji make them......no doubt they are popular on Warships and the like......   tripods not being very effective on board.

...but it remains a small market.....and I can't say that I have ever seen a pair used in anger....although a friend once told me he had an older mechanical gyro pair that ate batteries!

..the basic Canon 8X30mm aren't too expensive, however the 18X50mm cost around €1099..........and that's grey market.....

But then warships are grey for the most part!

To complete your information: Zeiss, Nikon, Steiner, Svarovski, Leica, and more also have this stabilisation feature. And all of them are not cheap.

I've just noticed that you can actually customize the OS behaviour beyond the standard settings using the C1/C2 custom switches. You have to use the USB dock for this.

I just did so and noticed a very marginal stabilization in the viewfinder - maybe. Will have to verify this tomorrow. 

I did sample images and I noticed more blurred images than usual. If that thing is working, it can't be that effective in any case (and I'm not talking about 1/30s at 400mm here).
  IMHO.....there's an untapped market for an enterprising Chinese company to make an affordable pair of OS binoculars...after all they make some very decent ordinary ones. A  birdwatching naturist friend kept a pair on every window-sill......he had Steiners, Zeiss and many others........I tried them all and frankly apart from the magnification and exit diameter, I could find much between them.......

My humble brand X Chinese ones that I bought for €30 twenty years ago still look good to me, bright and well aligned (often a problem with low cost bins)....if they were coupled with OS? they would sell like hot cakes!

Funky.

Must be one of these Australian versions...

:lol:

Seriously: I'm not the biggest fan of OS in dynamic view mode. Finder view is more stable, yes, but depeding on the OS/VR, the whole stuff jumps if I'm shooting in continuous mode, so here I do prefer no VR or only in the moment of the actual picture.

Because: There a re limits of maximum shale to correct. If I release in "finder stabilisation mode" when one of the Gyros is just at it's limit, in the worst case that will add a bit of unwanted shake. It's a trade-off to make and in some occassions I decide consciously not to have the full benefit of maximum optical stabilisation, but a calmer finder view.

I can follow that argument till 200mm. Beyond I want to have a substantially stabilized viewfinder.

At 400mm the viewfinder stabilization is worse than on the 150-600mm at 600mm.

You convinced me. I tried my only Sigma OS lens (24-105 Art) and it was calming down the finder view. With the dock, I could not adjust more than AF-points, the rest was in grey.

I think, your copy of the 100-400 is out of order. I also can follow your reasoning about necessity of OS beyond 200mm, but I see the finder image jumping, so I'm not sure what happens and if the picture will be sharp and within the chosen frame.

Quote:Or a made in China Nikkor?
:-) 

Beter buy Samyang realy made in Korea instead of fake ones

In terms of OS I still prefer the classical one

http://forum.opticallimits.com/index.php...le-tripod/

1. reliable - One tripod for 15 yeers

2. Applies to all lenses and cameras, including my Telescope and binocular.

3. Professional grade

- can be used in harsh environment - Little care only when  used in sand and salt water. Clean up is required.

- gives always the needed F-stops

- repeatable results

- good F-stop numbers

4. Extra features 

- keeps viewfinder steady. :-)

I have few lenses with VR IS - all of them are in 300 + range and they are fun to use it but I never look of this feature seriously