Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate video format reviews and tutorials but it seems they are the new trend
Everywhere I am seeing video reviews and tutorials, whatb happened to text and illustrative pictures,who would watch a 20 minutes camera review ? a video photoshop tutorial is a huge waste of time why why ?

Thanks god photozone didn't go this way  

Not every tutorial is a waste of time. Affinity (Designer and Photo) makes very good ones, but 95% is really a waste of time. No focus, bad education skills, bad camera settings, highly unprofessional is the rule, not the exception.

But that goes as well for some texts

Toni I hear you. God bless the old fashioned text/image review, I don't need to be drip-fed information at the pace the author is choosing - I can read and perform visual comprehension, thank you very much. Smile

I kind of follow JoJu sentiments. My feelings are mixed. Depending on the subject, you can spend way to much time digging through video and text tutorials that are really bad. OTH, some videos are really well done.

Sometimes I just think the web has been overrun with junk...

The reason for video reviews is simple - ad blockers don't work well - and the revenues are much higher.

In terms of "substance" this format doesn't work for me when it comes to lens reviews. 

It may be different with cameras but in my book there's just too much blabla around nothing.

I'm also in the mixed camp. I find myself watching youtube "reviews" (any product, not just photography) starting out as looking for info, but nowadays I find I watch more for entertainment. There's the odd nugget in there but not sure on the time investment for serious research.

I'm also not sure on the income models... I've debated on and off many times getting into youtube production, for the love of the topic primarily, and as alternative income a distant second. I'm not sure on the adblock argument, the real money seems to be in sponsored content, merchandising, and maybe patreon if you're big enough for that. Youtube in itself doesn't seem to be sufficient for anything other than incidental income with various problems about what is "ad friendly" hitting many. For now, I'm finding adblock works fine on youtube, but more and more websites have adblock-blocks on them.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I'm with toni-a. Sure, sometimes a video can be useful, but I have good skills in skimming texts, while it's not possible to skim videos...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(08-23-2017, 11:10 AM)toni-a Wrote: Everywhere I am seeing video reviews and tutorials, whatb happened to text and illustrative pictures,who would watch a 20 minutes camera review ? a video photoshop tutorial is a huge waste of time why why ?

Thanks god photozone didn't go this way 

Most of the video reviews are a big waste of time when you can simply read the characteristics and compare; plus opinions are too subjective sometimes.
100% agree. For this very reason I *never* watch any video reviews.
They are pretty much all crap and a waste of time and bandwidth.
--Florent

Flickr gallery