Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content
Quote:Based on that opinion I am surprised that mFT sales do not outnumber DSLR sales. Obviously many don't share my opinion.
I think we both are biased in our views due to the style of shooting we do.

Personally, I care about AF tracking a moving subject, so I'd take an entry level DSLR over even a high end mirrorless. And the SLR would probably be far cheaper. If I want small size without tracking, I could use a compact.

I'd definitely agree, if what you're after is a small sized interchangeable lens system with big(ish) sensor, micro4/3 has to be up there for choice. Even if it doesn't have tracking AF, the fast single shot AF would probably still be good enough to get me 90%+ of the shots I would have with a DSLR. But to look at it the other way, are the other advantages it gives me going to outweigh that? Weight and size have value in some cases, but not all.

Now if size is a big factor, I wouldn't rule out fixed lens systems and to me they are more interesting than m4/3, which would only come back into consideration for a given sensor related quality requirement.

Overall, it is a complex set of trade offs. Since I do often work on the longer focal length range, any body size benefits are significantly reduced. Also currently mirrorless systems don't really have premium lenses in that region.

To take a specific example, in the past I have had business trips to Munich. Last time, I decided to visit the zoo there. I took the 7D and 70-300L as well as a compact for wide angle. I managed to put the DSLR in my laptop bag, just. I know exactly the quality I would get, but carrying that on a short travel trip wasn't ideal. I'm likely to need to go back again. So I'm debating what's "good enough" in a small size. I recently bought another superzoom compact (SX240) and am still debating if that's "good enough" by itself. It is certainly small. I'm also still debating the SX50. Getting bigger, but it has a big-for-compact sensor and a massive zoom range. Key thing is, samples shown do show it is "good enough". That means I'm left only to wonder if the cost/size is going to be worth it.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Messages In This Thread
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content - by HarryLally - 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content - by popo - 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM