Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content
Quote:True, but one should also not overstate the pixel density of the D800. It has the same pixel density of a 16mp 1.5x crop sensor, and is not far from the pixel density of my 12mp 1.6x crop camera.

My answer was in reply to the comment about D3/D700 not showing any AF inaccuracy. Their density is much lower than a D800.  My previous DSLR was a Pentax K5 which indeed has the same (roughly) density as the D800. Note that my K5 had much more AF reliability issues than my D800.

Quote:True, but not all cameras show the same AF calibration issues. When the EOS 60D was announced many were angry that Canon dropped the MFA from the 50D... But practice has shown that that model does fine without MFA.

The Canon 5D mkIII and 1D-X seem to be ahead of the game AF accuracy wise.

Nothing beats a well calibrated lens, indeed MFA is not a cure or substitute.

What does MFA stand for, manual Focus Accuracy?

I'm not interested in manual focusing, whether with an aid in the VF or not. The only times I might need manual focus is with macro work which is a very specific case where AF is usually not an option anyway.

Quote:Most lenses which are not accurate show differences at different focus distances too.

True. Which is one more annoyance to add to the list against PDAF (versus CDAF). My Tamron 90 is notorious for this.

Quote:Try a 5D mkIII in a store one time, you might be surprised?

Perhaps, but I never considered Canon and won't now. In the past I found their auto ISO implementation extremely primitive and useless (compared to Pentax at least). Plus, I really disliked their ergonomics compared to Pentax.

In more recent year, I've found them to be quite sub-par in terms of sensor technology, especially DR.  Their sensors have marginally improved in the last 7 years. Back in 2005 they were clearly ahead of the game. Nowadays it's rather the opposite.

Anyway, I think DSLR tech is outdated and it's just a matter of time until mirrorless completely takes over. It may take a few years, but it's gonna happen for sure.

I wonder which manufacturer will come up with the first FF mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Samsung? Sony? ...

--Florent

Flickr gallery

Messages In This Thread
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content - by HarryLally - 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content - by thxbb12 - 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM