Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'sun planner'
Hi Christian, stelarium is great. It is amazing to see how everything moves.

Very nice.

I was going to suggest Stellarium as well, which is on several phone platforms as well as PC (maybe Mac also, I'm not sure), and it's wonderful.

Stellarium is available for the Mac, but not (anymore) for iOS. Judging from user comments the iOS version did not come close to the desktop version, so it's likely no loss.

Someone in a forum I just checked recommended SkySafari as an alternative for iOS users. Unfortunately I can't comment if it includes the same features we're looking for in this thread, because I'm currently on a mobile network with no usable WLAN nearby, so I can't download the app (it's more than 50 MB, the mobile network barrier established in the App store).

However: the basic version (SkySafari 3, there are also quite expensive Plus and Pro versions) is free today (April 22nd). So someone else with an iOS device can maybe check the features without any (financial) risk.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Stellarium is available for the Mac, but not (anymore) for iOS. Judging from user comments the iOS version did not come close to the desktop version, so it's likely no loss.

Someone in a forum I just checked recommended SkySafari as an alternative for iOS users. Unfortunately I can't comment if it includes the same features we're looking for in this thread, because I'm currently on a mobile network with no usable WLAN nearby, so I can't download the app (it's more than 50 MB, the mobile network barrier established in the App store).

However: the basic version (SkySafari 3, there are also quite expensive Plus and Pro versions) is free today (April 22nd). So someone else with an iOS device can maybe check the features without any (financial) risk.

-- Markus

Just downloaded it. Thanks for the tip. It looks like a nice, polished application. Didn't spend much time with it, but looks nice. There are two higher level versions, Plus and Pro. for which they charge. Basic has only 120'000 stars, and goes +/- 100 years

plus 2.5 mil stars , 4000 asteroids/ comets, 1 mil years +/-.   Pro has 15.3 mil stars from hubble catalogue, 740'000 galaxies ...

So, for photography it looks like the basic version is just fine.

In any case, Stellarium on SkySafari don't replace something like TPE for me. The key of TPE is that you can look at a particular position on a map and know how the light will fall onto buildings at sunrise, sunset etc.
Quote:However: the basic version (SkySafari 3, there are also quite expensive Plus and Pro versions) is free today (April 22nd). So someone else with an iOS device can maybe check the features without any (financial) risk.
Thanks for the tip. Android version is $1 but I'm getting it anyway for my personal devices. Shall also grab the iOS version for my work account...
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Shall also grab the iOS version for my work account...
Make sure to grab it today. It will be back to its normal price tomorrow.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Got it. I don't actually have an iOS device to call my own outside of work "test purposes" Big Grin
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.