Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon 70-200 F4 VR or Tamron 70-300 VC
I think a D7100+the 70-200mm f4 is perfect for you, given the fact that you already have a D800.

Old thread. Thought i will add to it rather than a new thread...

My question: can Tamron equal the 70-200/4 on a crop body like 5200? From 70 to 200 at least, and wide open. (Assumption being that it will utilise smaller circle on a crop camera)

Tamron's crop review on 50d was fantastic here...but the new bodies are 24mp so dont know...
Those 24 MP on a crop body are not that mindblowing for more details like the D800 is. But the High ISO capabilities really are very good compared to a D7000/D5100. And with 300/5.6 you better have good High ISO.

You had a couple of nights to sleep over your own question. I don't think there are a lot people having both lenses parallel, so this is why you don't get answers in the way you like to read it. Question is, is the 70-200 so good that you can crop a 300 like shot out of it? Maybe, with very good technique and in bright light. But are the cameras able to autofocus that precisely? I never think about buying a Tamron, because one bad experience is enough and the service is not in my country, so shipping costs become an issue and time it spent in service is another one. So if in your country a Tamron service exists, you can give it a try.

You were talking about the shots you could miss by changing lenses. True. And how much did you miss by not deciding which way to go? Can you borrow both lenses? Even if they are close to each other resolutionwise, how do they deal with backlight? Depending on what you shoot, the Nikon is not 3 times more quality (like the price is) but it will be superior on the D800. So, for DX only: take the Tamron, if you're lucky and your copy behaves well, you get lens and body for the price of "only" a Nikon zoom. If you're aiming for highest quality - no Tamron.

I know a friend who has 180/2.8 and 70-200/4 on a D800 I could ask her what she uses more. But that's still third hand information to you. What she likes you don't have to feel the same about. My recommendation remains: Borrow or rent those lenses then you'll know.
Hi Joju, thanks.

I dont need 300mm reach. Upto 200 is fine. I wrongly phrased it but what i wanted to ask was this:

Is a Tamron VC wide open on a crop body as good as a 70-300/4?

We know it cant match the nikon on FX below F8, but we also know that Tamron does very well on a crop body, even wide open.

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/5...sc?start=1

I am trying to get hold of a copy but have not been able to till now. If i could get one that will be the best.
If you really want to go DX because of avoiding lens-changes: Are you aware, that all contemporary Nikon DXs have a different handling? Especially if you use user settings, they do have a completely different concept than the setting benches of a D800. I do find this different layout sometimes exhausting.

Good luck with testing!

Hi,

After much deliberation i finally bought the Nikon. Thanks for the help guys.

Smile