Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum registration was down ...
... for months. I just noticed this. Maybe I should verify the log files more often ...

This may also be reason why it was a little silent in here lately ...

f**k [Image: blink.gif]

yes disappointing - so - (suggestions:-) - because…..

…….the economy is poor most places? no matter how it might look down here

…….one important person has moved far away? so might appear a tad less local now

…….other photo places are more marketing orientated:-(? ...and people are sheep:-)

…….most normal people make happy pictures with what is now good entry level gear(or even phones)? - so make do with less?

…….or (best suggestion)……i'm here so everyone else has gone away…….any other suggestions?….
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1359116198' post='21526']

yes disappointing - so - (suggestions:-) - because…..

…….the economy is poor most places? no matter how it might look down here

…….one important person has moved far away? so might appear a tad less local now

…….other photo places are more marketing orientated:-(? ...and people are sheep:-)

…….most normal people make happy pictures with what is now good entry level gear(or even phones)? - so make do with less?

…….or (best suggestion)……i'm here so everyone else has gone away…….any other suggestions?….

[/quote]

I think it means that forum registration was not working, so there have been no new members recently.
[quote name='dave9t5' timestamp='1359137856' post='21528']

I think it means that forum registration was not working, so there have been no new members recently.

[/quote]

When I moved the content server to a bigger machine I also moved the email server.

However, I didn't configure the forum email address account used for the registration process ... *bummer*

The main site is doing great. There's no hint that the interest is diminishing.

It was just a bit silent here in the forum.

Other than the registration, it is an obvious fact that dpreview is absorbing in most of the community aspects.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1359151911' post='21530']

When I moved the content server to a bigger machine I also moved the email server.

However, I didn't configure the forum email address account used for the registration process ... *bummer*

The main site is doing great. There's no hint that the interest is diminishing.

It was just a bit silent here in the forum.

Other than the registration, it is an obvious fact that dpreview is absorbing in most of the community aspects.

[/quote]

Hi Klaus,

This is a second reply,I don't know what happened to the first.

My take; to me, it's News Generator that is killing the forum,you look to see what's new on the forum and there's another NG post,so what can you say to that,not a lot,it's one way traffic! A forum is there to exchange ideas,express views,general lens banter and even altercations,one thing I have noticed is, nothing stimulates forum activity more than a difference of opinion. We're glass addicts,brand addicts and often children at heart and we want to talk about our passion.I post often on DPRewiew and threads "can" run into tens of replies or more (my last 64 replies).However, this is a better lens site,with many more lens reviews,it seems that camera reviews are no-longer "on going",so it's all about lenses,really your real competition is "Lens Tip" also a great site with a value conscious editor,but "no" forum,so on the forum front you could clean up!

IMHO News Generator should be a news blog only and shouldn't show up in the forum category,move it to "news". Start topics; favorite lenses,sharpest lenses,best value,quiz questions etc. whatever,once people interact it goes by itself.

I've been wanting to post a thread here about this topic for some time,so now you've asked,here it is.

Hope your not too snowbound down-under.LOL all the best Dave's clichés

RSVP P.S.How about being the only site to test the new Pentax DA.560mm F5.6 lens it's only $7,000, pull it out of the petty cash box.
We had an internal discussion about the news generator. Markus doesn't like it at all. Personally I can't really understand the problem actually. The thing is collection product news from the manufacturer sites. This is an equipment site thus everything is about products anyway. Other than that you can, of course, just ignore it.

e.g. in the Canon section is has produced 4 messages in 4 months. How can this be disturbing ?

> How about being the only site to test the new Pentax DA.560mm F5.6 lens it's only $7,000, pull it out of the petty cash box.

Ummm, no. [Image: biggrin.gif]
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1359253153' post='21547']

We had an internal discussion about the news generator. Markus doesn't like it at all. Personally I can't really understand the problem actually. The thing is collection product news from the manufacturer sites. This is an equipment site thus everything is about products anyway. Other than that you can, of course, just ignore it.

e.g. in the Canon section is has produced 4 messages in 4 months. How can this be disturbing ?

> How about being the only site to test the new Pentax DA.560mm F5.6 lens it's only $7,000, pull it out of the petty cash box.

Ummm, no. [Image: biggrin.gif]

[/quote]

Hi again,

I think the key to the problem lies in category in which News Generator is placed,of course,it's news,camera heads want to know all photo news, but under the heading "news". When opening "forum" most people I'm sure look at the column "new items listed" it's the first point of contact,I (personally) very rarely look at the left hand categories,canon/nikon etc(there's not enough activity brand-wise for that). I check out for reviews and members contributions,recently, I found very little, I very rarely read NG posts,so 4 times out of 5 if there are no "people posts" I'm out of there! The word "forum" (dictionary definition),place of assembly for legal or other public discussion,court,etc. So that's why I'm writing now,as a forum member, because I have something to "say",my guess is NG left in it's present form will suffocate the forum,(it already is!). Change NGs placing and then re-kick start the forum before people loose the habit of visiting with a view to "two way communication" Communication is the "key word" and with that I wish you a happy Sunday.

Dave's clichés P.S.I was only joking about the 560mm Pentax lens,I'm sure, only Pentax forums will review it,or maybe we'll never know how good it is.