Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8 G IF-ED
A very good lens, no doubt. And an expensive one, no doubt...

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...on175528dx

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I always wander how it would perform on higher density sensor, it looks pretty good.

Markus, I believe this needs update " The level of CAs are quit low".
[quote name='borisbg' timestamp='1355679178' post='21197']

I always wander how it would perform on higher density sensor, it looks pretty good.

Markus, I believe this needs update " The level of CAs are quit low".

[/quote]

It looks quite good, but I wouldn't shell out that much money for one. In addition, it's quite a brick for a DX lens. They sell used for around 750 EUR over here, which is more in line with what you get in terms of performance, IMO. However, I've seen several "well used" copies that either had focus or centering issues...

Thanks for the hint, updated that sentence.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I tried a copy of this lens some weeks ago - with D7000 body. Performance open with F2.8 was wees, soft at 17, 35 and 55mm. With F4.0 ist was very okay... The Autofocus has similar speed as the big 2.8/24-70mm - therefore tried it. The 18-105 is so slow that many shots of kids are not in focus. The DX16-85 has similar slow Autofocus.

Is that normal behaviour of that lens? Should I test different used copies? To bus a used copy is a nice option today...

Thanks, Walter
When I first switched to digital this lens was out my reach (even I wanted it), the test reviews were showing good results, while the user reports were mixed. I ended up with Tokina. Friend of mine who is wedding photographer had to send it twice to Nikon to fix the focus motor. Then I stopped looking at the lens as potential upgrade. My eyes are on fx if I am going to upgrade.