Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ssssh......
.....omg you're a noisy lot here, forever chatting on, filling up the web clouds with idle gossip - so i thought i might ask a brief, iPod blaring out in your ears, totally on topic question for this lens forum -

"does anyone here do their own printing and use, say, a canon iPF 6300 and find that the rgb inks are useful' - or not - ta in advance -

.....now if i might, i'll quickly return to the quiet carriage (the first and last carriages on the lens trains here) -
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1352493396' post='20911']

.....omg you're a noisy lot here, forever chatting on, filling up the web clouds with idle gossip - so i thought i might ask a brief, iPod blaring out in your ears, totally on topic question for this lens forum -

"does anyone here do their own printing and use, say, a canon iPF 6300 and find that the rgb inks are useful' - or not - ta in advance -

.....now if i might, i'll quickly return to the quiet carriage (the first and last carriages on the lens trains here) -

[/quote]

Hi,

thanks for asking. I am still printing my images and interested in printing. Unfortunately I don't get to it as much as I used to and certainly not such kit as a Canon iPF.

You have one of these or are thinking of getting one of these?

Thanks for posting this here. In general I think we discuss to little about printing on this forum.

Best wishes

Joachim
enjoy
[quote name='joachim' timestamp='1352540813' post='20912']

Hi,

thanks for asking. I am still printing my images and interested in printing. Unfortunately I don't get to it as much as I used to and certainly not such kit as a Canon iPF.

You have one of these or are thinking of getting one of these?

Thanks for posting this here. In general I think we discuss to little about printing on this forum.

Best wishes

Joachim

[/quote]

hi Joachin,

thanks for this, yes i would like to do my own printing - i have been not finding success lately with commercial sources, yes i can have very good printing done elsewhere, but at quite a high cost and i now have saved up so many pictures that i could just about pay for a printer of my own, or more - so i'm starting to look at it -

there is a used 6300 available locally at a very good price and elsewhere there is a new one (just a tad difficult to get it here, it's big:-), or i was also wondering about a 5100 or an epson4900 (new and also at a very good price)

so far in testing i've had a really nice print of my fairly recent rain forest shot on the 6300 (came out exactly as the shot appears on my screen), but not on the paper i like (hahne photorag) and he did it as an rgb print, i was surprised at just how well it came out thus my question above -

and yes, we maybe could discuss printing here a little (but of course this is really a lens site, although i found a lovely screen with help from here) ….. oops i almost forgot, i've found one or two nice lenses via here too :-) .....anyhow imo, pictures are intended for and look nicer on paper on the wall rather than on screens on the web….ta J…..
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1352546268' post='20914']

hi Joachin,

thanks for this, yes i would like to do my own printing - i have been not finding success lately with commercial sources, yes i can have very good printing done elsewhere, but at quite a high cost and i now have saved up so many pictures that i could just about pay for a printer of my own, or more - so i'm starting to look at it -

there is a used 6300 available locally at a very good price and elsewhere there is a new one (just a tad difficult to get it here, it's big:-), or i was also wondering about a 5100 or an epson4900 (new and also at a very good price)

so far in testing i've had a really nice print of my fairly recent rain forest shot on the 6300 (came out exactly as the shot appears on my screen), but not on the paper i like (hahne photorag) and he did it as an rgb print, i was surprised at just how well it came out thus my question above -

and yes, we maybe could discuss printing here a little (but of course this is really a lens site, although i found a lovely screen with help from here) ….. oops i almost forgot, i've found one or two nice lenses via here too :-) .....anyhow imo, pictures are intended for and look nicer on paper on the wall rather than on screens on the web….ta J…..

[/quote]

Hi,

It seems nobody wants to play with us. Wondering what the rest of the gang is doing with their images if they are not printing them - you have any idea? Perhaps they are just collecting lenses (pssst).

Photozone used to be a very general photography site and we had lots of discussions here on many things photographic. I remember discussing the virtues of Kodachrome vs Velvia and Klaus allowing me to call him "the radioactive color man". Long gone Kodachrome is dead, Klaus doesn't do film any more and I also stopped since my recent more. Getting film processed here is not so easy. I don't quite agree that photozone is a lens site, but it never was a printing site.

Coming back to topic, you really need such a big printer? The things you quote are massive.

Canon used to sell Hahnemühle photo rag as FA-PR1 (the 188g version) and I quite liked to print it on my 6700D. Unfortunately Canon doesn't sell this any more. Need to test whether this paper sold under the Hahnemühle brand has the same properties. With the 6700D (essentially an A4 version of the Pro 9000 mk I, just lacking the red and green colour) not being supported well any more by independent paper manufacturers getting profiles is a bit of an issue here. I know this is dye and they will not last very well, but I frame them under glas or keep them in an album to reduce light and gas fading. So far, not much issues.

I have to be a bit careful with the subject matter. The printer doesn't achieve high density, so one need subjects which are quite bright. There is works well. Otherwise I like the Canon SG201. What is your issue with the Photo Rag?

I researched printers in the past days. I am keen on an A3 (13 inch in US money) with pigment and a couple of grays. It seems to me, still to this days, there are a lot of people which report problems with clogging on a pigment printer and others have none. If you look use satisfaction for dyes on amazon.com, there are many unhappy and many happy people. Dyes seem not so polarised. Fewer unhappy reports.

You have any experiences with pigments and clogging or not clogging? You will have regular print work to do, that you print weekly?

Considering your question about the Canon inkset, the reveiws write very nice things about the EPSON K3 vivid magenta ink set. Nothing fancy in there. Just a few extra grays and the usual light magneta and cyan.

All for now.

J.
enjoy
[quote name='joachim' timestamp='1352851174' post='20943']

It seems nobody wants to play with us………Photozone used to be a very general photography site and we had lots of discussions here on many things photographic. I remember discussing the virtues of Kodachrome vs Velvia and Klaus allowing me to call him "the radioactive color man"……. I don't quite agree that photozone is a lens site, but it never was a printing site…..[/quote]

hi joachim and thanks for this -

yes i've been a reader at Pz for some time only starting to contribute when i felt that the gallery was very slow and so i tried to rev it up by adding pics of my own and one thing led to another…… including a change of name to simplify it for me……

and re. Pz's recent quiet period - well there is the move from difficult film to simpler quality digital and also i wonder that the major global economic turn down must have affected discretionary spending and so slowed the photography market overall, + i expect that k's move down under has been a distraction - moving half way around the world is a major disruption (although doing this within ones own company is maybe not so bad) - i know of these problems because i have done similar moves several times over the years, long term moves mean everything changes every time and then again if you return - nowadays it is possibly not so difficult, but socially i am not so sure -

Quote:….you really need such a big printer? The things you quote are massive.

…..i like large prints……

Quote:……What is your issue with the Photo Rag?

i should be more careful how i phrase what i write - in my mind it all makes sense, but the words come out garbled and phrased wrong although it all makes sense to me :-) …….. so re. the Hahne photorag - i love it and use nothing else, but the printing person who was making prints of my pics (to test the gear that i'm interested in) couldn't make it work on a difficult picture, so that was the problem - i have since found the answers that i'm asking from another printer (who made super prints, lovely colour and grey scale and definition from the same files on the H photorag / canon) -

Quote:……Canon used to sell Hahnemühle photo rag as FA-PR1 (the 188g version) and I quite liked to print it on my 6700D. Unfortunately Canon doesn't sell this any more. Need to test whether this paper sold under the Hahnemühle brand has the same properties……..I have to be a bit careful with the subject matter. The printer doesn't achieve high density, so one need subjects which are quite bright. There is works well. Otherwise I like the Canon SG201……

……my current understanding is that the iPF5100 (affordable for me) might not give such fine definition/separation in the blacks as the 6300 or 8300 - this quality is important for me but down here the 6300 is a tad too expensive …….. in any case i understand that i'd have to leave the printer powered up all the time and print regularly, so although i now have 80 and more shots that i'd like to print out i'd probably have to do them at the rate of one or two a week to keep everything working :-)

- hmmm - the attraction of having my own printer on hand is that i'd print more of my iffy stuff where as at $85 a 24"X16" pop i dont

so i hope this is all sensible now - and finally keeping prints under glass in a darkish room seems to work for me, maybe not so much in a hot and bright sun-shiny room (such days like we used to have until someone brought some german type weather with him :-) ......but i haven't tried doing the pics in a sun-room type of setting yet

so, thanks again,

keith
I thought this canon's were pigment. So they might clogged but the prints should last. What am I missing?
enjoy
[quote name='joachim' timestamp='1352915072' post='20953']

I thought this canon's were pigment. So they might clogged but the prints should last. What am I missing?

[/quote]

....oops sorry j ...... re. your answer: yes, maybe and yes, and "what are you missing?" - once again i might have not made my previous answer clear (the reason i'm trying to avoid more writing anywhere :-(

- so i suppose you might be referring to my hot bright sunny room - well where i am here in summer it can easily reach 40*C+ and i have an alsynite covered patio outside which can add 10 or more degrees to that, so i don't leave much that is valuable (or the fridge) in this room, this part of my answer was more of a tiny local joke - still that said, all of this is until our bavarian friend(still i hope) brought his nice cooler german weather down here with him recently ;-)

- ta