Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need a free RAW converter for beginners
Hi all, long time didn't post here, well too busy to send camera to repairs and now too busy to get it back.....

I haven't been following photography news lately.

A friend of mine needs an easy to use RAW converter, not an advanced one with all the possible sharpening algoythms etc a basic one, with exposure and white balance correction and curves manipulation, any free software you can recommend ?
Hi toni,

I enjoyed using RAWTherapee before I bought Lightroom.

http://rawtherapee.com

It is easy to use and quite powerful.

Best wishes,

Christian
Hi toni,

which camera does your friend use?

Most manufacturers put some sort of free converter onto

the CD that comes with the camera (you will remember DPP

from the time you were using a Canon).

So, besides the free rawtherapee there might be another

option when looking on the CD.

Greets ... Rainer
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1349436076' post='20509']

Hi all, long time didn't post here, well too busy to send camera to repairs and now too busy to get it back.....

I haven't been following photography news lately.

A friend of mine needs an easy to use RAW converter, not an advanced one with all the possible sharpening algoythms etc a basic one, with exposure and white balance correction and curves manipulation, any free software you can recommend ?

[/quote]

Hi Toni,

Long time no see. If they are using a Mac, I suggest iPhoto if the camera is supported. Ok, no curves in there, but then I think curves is more advanced than sharpening. If they have a Mac, iPhoto comes with it. Downside of the apple solution is, that apple can be slow with respect to supporting the latest cameras. Many people are still waiting for Fuji X10 support (lets get some orbs).

Joachim
enjoy