Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LENS
Hi !

I am not expert and I have one CANON 550D lens 17-55 f/2.8

I need one help

I want to buy one lens from 50mm f/1.4 USM or 85 f/1.8 USM

Some body can help me about deference from this 2 lens

I need for my travel photo i make photo of my family when I visit the city ( Paris-London- berlin )

My next lens will be 70-200 L

Thank you

Barbara
Hello Barbara.

Why do you want a 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 exactly? Your 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM has 50mm too, so what is it exactly you want a bigger aperture for? Is it specifically for portraits, or specifically for shallow depth of focus? Or any other reason?

Personally I prefer 85mm over 50mm on APS-C cameras like your 550D. The more narrow field of view gives more attractive photos.

Neither 50mm or 85mm make sense to me when photographing family members visiting cities (if the scenery is to be shown in the images too)... Also big apertures seem a bit strange in this respect. That is why I asked the questions above, to get a better understanding of what you are looking for.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1349171277' post='20460']

Hello Barbara.

Why do you want a 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8 exactly? Your 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM has 50mm too, so what is it exactly you want a bigger aperture for? Is it specifically for portraits, or specifically for shallow depth of focus? Or any other reason?

Personally I prefer 85mm over 50mm on APS-C cameras like your 550D. The more narrow field of view gives more attractive photos.

Neither 50mm or 85mm make sense to me when photographing family members visiting cities (if the scenery is to be shown in the images too)... Also big apertures seem a bit strange in this respect. That is why I asked the questions above, to get a better understanding of what you are looking for.

[/quote]

And if a 70-200 L is planned to be bought, it may also do most what the 85mm does, unless again, one wants the very shallow depth of f1.8 to f2.8.
[quote name='photonius' timestamp='1349172223' post='20461']

And if a 70-200 L is planned to be bought, it may also do most what the 85mm does, unless again, one wants the very shallow depth of f1.8 to f2.8.

[/quote]

Well, there are two 70-200mm L's that are f4. Then the difference is a bit bigger.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1349171277' post='20460']

I am not expert and I think that 50 or 80 is easy to use but its my opinion because I am not expert

Witch lens you raccomandet to me with future 70-200

Thank you Barbara

Hello Barbara.

[/quote]
What do you mean with "easy to use"?

Focal lengths determine what you want to use a lens for. If you want to photograph a bird in a tree some distance away. one would want a long focal length, like a 400mm or 500mm lens. If one wants to capture a building from a relative close distance, one would want a short focal length, like for instance 12mm to capture the whole building.

To me it is not clear what you mean with that 50mm and 85mm lenses are "easy to use".

You have a 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM lens at the moment. What is it you look for that that lens does not offer you?