Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update from 5D I to 5D II or 6D?
Hello All,

Just a thought. There are many camera to choose from now. If you want to go FF in Canonland and don't have 5D III money, then you can buy a second hand 1Ds I or II, a 5D I or II or perhaps wait for the 6D to come out.

I own a 5D which is a great camera. But assume I would want to update my camera. I don't know what to do. Switch to Nikon, or stay with Canon and buy a second hand 5D II for appr. 1000 euro or wait for the 6D? Don't know if it will be worth the extra money between a second hand 5D II or a new 6D. I use my camera for landscape photography, some architecture and nature.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Reinier
As you have the original 5 it would seem better to go for the Mark 2 unless there is something about the new EOS 6D that you really,really want. For the sort of photography you do many pro photographers were very happy use the EOS 5D Mk 2 and some limitations in fps and focusing are not going cause you problems.

With the proviso that the second hand camera comes from a trusted source or that you are able to do some decent testing.
I also vote for the 5 II.
5D II IMO, especially considering the used prices. Normally, I would upgrade by now, but I honestly don'' t see the need right now, certainly not for my relatively slow style of photography. IMO, the 6D despite it being a newer camera, amounts to a standstill at best compared to the 5D II.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....