Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7artisan a new lens manufacturer
dave9t5, you may talk one day to a metallurgist about your "not incorrect". Wink  Talking about copper or a copper alloy with entirely different technological behavior and purpose? No teacher will confirm this as not "incorrect". Besides, copper is also used with nickel and aluminum, so it could mean that as well? Hardly. It has a reason to use the words "brass", "bronze" - or you prefer to talk about CW509L (60% copper, rest zinc)? It's helpful to use the right words. And speaking of it: We Europeans can call ourselves lucky to live in comparatively small countries/language regions.

Last week I met Scots, English, Americans, Maltese, Australians, Canadians and South-Africans. And all talking "English" as native speakers... no need to say more.  Smile

And why am I talking this crap? I'm endlessly bored about the endless row of 50 mm lenses with manual focus. Apparently every backyard workshop in China wants to become a big player now (and sometimes those backyard workshop turn out to be the Foxcon of optics...)

Quote: 

And why am I talking this crap? I'm endlessly bored about the endless row of 50 mm lenses with manual focus. Apparently every backyard workshop in China wants to become a big player now (and sometimes those backyard workshop turn out to be the Foxcon of optics...)

To ease your pain - the next review of a Chinese lens will be about a 15mm. ;-)
Quote:I am surprised no one has made a manual focus dedicated fisheye for Full Frame mirrorless yet. The Samyang 12mm 2.8 is available for e mount but is an SLR lens with a built in adapter and is unnecessarily large. 

I'm still waiting for that 15mm f/8 FF fisheye pancake ... *sigh*  Anyone?
Quote:I'm still waiting for that 15mm f/8 FF fisheye pancake ... *sigh*  Anyone?
How about f5.6?

https://voigtlaender.de/12-mm--f-5%2c6-ultra-wide-heliar-e.html

Wide enough to provide FOV for 15mm uncorrected, all you need is to apply "uncorrection" in PS/LR/DXO. Only 283 grams.
Quote:How about f5.6?

https://voigtlaender.de/12-mm--f-5%2c6-ultra-wide-heliar-e.html

Wide enough to provide FOV for 15mm uncorrected, all you need is to apply "uncorrection" in PS/LR/DXO. Only 283 grams.

Still way too big ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8zH03vIYPS8/VE...mF11_0.jpg

... and sort of lacking FoV.
Quote:dave9t5, you may talk one day to a metallurgist about your "not incorrect". Wink  Talking about copper or a copper alloy with entirely different technological behavior and purpose? No teacher will confirm this as not "incorrect". Besides, copper is also used with nickel and aluminum, so it could mean that as well? Hardly. It has a reason to use the words "brass", "bronze" - or you prefer to talk about CW509L (60% copper, rest zinc)? It's helpful to use the right words. And speaking of it: We Europeans can call ourselves lucky to live in comparatively small countries/language regions.

Last week I met Scots, English, Americans, Maltese, Australians, Canadians and South-Africans. And all talking "English" as native speakers... no need to say more.  Smile

Jo Jo,

Yes, you are talking crap again. 

I have a Master's Degree in Metallurgy and Materials Science.

And, I've lived in a Chinese-speaking country for 15 years. Chinese is pretty literal language.  

I'm merely pointing out an interesting idiosyncrasy that I see happen from time-to-time in technical translations from Chinese to English to explain the error in the description and I'm using simple non-engineering description for the benefit of the rest of the forum. 

If you go to a Chinese speaking country and order "chicken" they will be very confused because it incorrectly means you want a bird brought to you your table.  You must order "chicken meat".  Or cow meat or pig meat.  There is no equivalent words like beef or pork (maybe there are, but my Chinese is pretty basic).  If a Chinese person orders cow meat in English, it would odd but not incorrect.

Chinese language has no odd names for months or days, named after European false gods.  Mars' month is simply Month 3 and Thor's Day is simply Day 4.  That is odd to a European, but it is not incorrect.  

Thin noodles are thin noodles and thick noodles are thick noodles in Chinese.  They are not spaghetini or linguine.  

You said you spoke to an American?  Do you mean a Mexican? Or a Brazilian?  Or...?  Just like Europe, there are a lots of countries in "America".   As you say: "It's helpful to use the right words."

If a North North American writes alumiNUM instead of alumiNIUM is that not correct or not incorrect?  If they fail to specify aluminum ALLOY does that omission mean they are referring to commercially pure aluminum?  Do they mean 1100 or 1199? (oops, should it Al99,0Cu).  Because an aluminum can can hold beer does not mean it should not be called an aluminum alloy can.

Why do people from the USA put liquid gas in their cars?  Why do they park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?  

Is a hamburger a person who lives in a castle by a bend in the river?   Or is it a tasty meat product that contains (usually) no ham (pig meat)?  

I looked up the etymology for brass and bronze.  Brass comes from the old English word for....Bronze.  

The Chinese had a Bronze Age that predates the English language by 2000+ years.  Maybe it's not incorrect to them. 

Thank you for incorrecting my Engrish for me.
dave9to5, I somehow find my crap still more interesting than another dull manual focus 50mm/1.1  Big Grin

And your answer even more so (interesting, that is). First, the internet is filled with crap - it doesn't matter if I add some to it or not, it will remain the "multiplier of stupidity". Second, I could pretend to have not only a master degree in metallurgy, but also be professor for rare earth and less rare crap.

If you own a Master degree in this, fine. But to me it remains doubtful. Copper and zinc are part of brass. Copper and zinc can be found as pure metals - brass never. You first have to "cook it and make the alloy". Same for bronze, I don't think I need to point out for the periodic system - any signs of bronze or brass?

Now, I also was looking up the (traditional) Chinese signs for

Copper  éŠ…

Brass     é»ƒéŠ…

Bronze   é’銅

So, the Chinese source most probably was correct - or just lazy and wrote 銅 (or simplified Chinese: 铜)

So, these old Chinese fellas DO make a very accurate difference in metals, of what you, the great master degree metallurgist just stated copper = brass = bronze  :lol: I mean, you're right: Why name the alloy in this case but not in all various aluminium or steel alloys? But in common language - even in the simplified English we're talking, we also know a difference between copper/bronze/brass and we use these words knowingly. I'm only toolmaker and sort of engineer for machinery, but rest assured, none of my master-degree teachers would have accepted your answer. That's my explanation for my reaction to your post. Decide for yourself who's talking crap, I simply don't care, but in a nice way.

Oh, and we were also told to use the terms "Kupfer-Zink
" (as a mnemonic to "Messing
") and "Kupfer-Zinn" instead of "Bronze". No one did say so, but you know. teachers...

I didn't expect it would be so very clear for the Chinese - I use to keep in mind that some of the more technological specific terms in Chinese have to get new combinations of logos. Understood by people around Shenzhen, but less so in Beijing or - you know better than me. 87.000 different logos, Wiki states for daily use it's sufficient to know around 3.000 - 5.000. I suddenly feel culturally underdeveloped with only 26 characters  Sad I have to monitor some translation processes of manuals, so I envy you for your Chinese skills.

Oh, and as for the Americans: Are there any states on both American continents which lead "America" in their state name? And if it comforts you, there were also three Argentinians amongst them  ^_^ No Engrish, though.

The next thing sounding weird: Speaking of "false Gods" - my, my, as a Scientist you should know better. You don't know which Gods are false and which are right. Again, don't care as long as there is an entity I can pray or curse to  B)

Interestingly - to draw the curve back to metals - bronze, bronce, brontzetko, brons is understood in most European languages - except portuguese, greek, celtic or gaëlic. Whereas brass needs more effort to learn: Messing, laiton, ottone, mässing, latón. Portuguese and Latin makes it simple: All is "aes" (bronze as brass).

A Hamburger, btw. lives in Hamburg. Usually he or she will defend him-/herself if one likes to eat him.

Quote:Oh, I just noticed that I haven't tested the Samyang 8mm f/2.8 II (APS-C) either.

That's certainly the gold standard among the el-cheapos .. although that one costs 270-300USD already. 

I'm not sure, I thought the difference of this one was only that the version II had a removable hood so you could use it as a circular fish-eye on FF. I don't think the optics changed. Or did you mean to test it on FF?
Quote:dave9to5, I somehow find my crap still more interesting than another dull manual focus 50mm/1.1  Big Grin

And you're answer even more so (interesting, that is). First, the internet is filled with crap - it doesn't matter if I add some to it or not, it will remain the "multiplier of stupidity". Second, I could pretend to have not only a master degree in metallurgy, but also be professor for rare earth and less rare crap.

It's "your" not "you're" answer....   Just "pick-knitting"   Rolleyes 
Thanks, corrected it. So, the "Engrish" is even...