Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MFT and flash photography
I often shoot indoor events and for those using a flash is a must, I always use the flash bounced.

Full frame was too heavy, 750D seems much better, wonder if any MFT would do the job.

If flashes are the same bulk it's not worth it since the system won't balance well, is there a good tiny yet powerful MFT flash (minimum GN40 plus fast recycling) with performance equivalent for Canon? I only want hot shoe, would leave off camera flash for Canon that is doing it very well
There are a few slightly smaller flash units available, but all in all flashes are more or less the same size for the same GN, mostly due to the fact that the electronics require a few large parts, plus batteries.

The only way to go lighter and/or smaller is LED lights, and those have become very, very good, plus provide a more even lighting, although the really good ones tend to have more volume even if being lighter. The advantage because of their softer lighting and better soft light is that you don't necessarily need indirect "flash".

As to off-camera flash: there actually are options to use Canon flashes with, e.g, Olympus cameras Smile.

Oh, and yes, MFT would do nicely. There are quite a few wedding photographers these days using MFT, with flash, for their jobs.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:There are a few slightly smaller flash units available, but all in all flashes are more or less the same size for the same GN, mostly due to the fact that the electronics require a few large parts, plus batteries.

The only way to go lighter and/or smaller is LED lights, and those have become very, very good, plus provide a more even lighting, although the really good ones tend to have more volume even if being lighter. The advantage because of their softer lighting and better soft light is that you don't necessarily need indirect "flash".

As to off-camera flash: there actually are options to use Canon flashes with, e.g, Olympus cameras Smile.

Oh, and yes, MFT would do nicely. There are quite a few wedding photographers these days using MFT, with flash, for their jobs.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
I use flash either bounced or as fill flash in daylight, since flashes are merely same size, camera size won't change things a lot, besides a tiny camera won't balance well with a big flash, tried LED, not really what I want, although a circular LED in daylight gives a very beautiful catchlight.

So staying with APS-C
It depends on the indoor situation, I'd say. Toni, you just have not much experience with fast lenses (and then you need to let the zooms go, which can be a real problem) but I would not agree on "indoor events and for those using a flash is a must" - on the contrary, getting flashed in the face while dancing led me to some very harsh words towards the photographing idiot. "But I have to, there's not enough light" was his answer. "Then learn to do better - if I can, others can do as well".

However, it's another discussion. Just recently I bought a Metz 400 in the Fuji-version. Tiny yet powerful, although there's simply no IR-AF-assist beam like they claim. For me the best small flash is the Nikon SB500. In addition to that one I got a Metz CT52-2 (for Nikon), bulky, but doing alright. I don't expect much from this tiny lamps, mainly I want to be able to add some light and use HSS flash.