Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A57 vs A77 (or X-Pro 1) with ZA lenses
As lanscapes photographer, I (logically) begun to chose my lenses, following the level of quality I wanted to reach. I've got a 2/24mm ZA, a 1,4/85mm ZA and plan to get a 8-16mm Sigma. Since there is a lot of uncertainty about the 24MP quality, does it worth better to get a A57 than an A77 ? The 16MP is known as a very good one.

Even I lose AF, these lenses with a Novoflex adapter (with aperture ring) on a Fuji X-Pro 1 seems to be an original way to get very good quality too.

What do you think about that ?

Regards.

JMi
[quote name='jmfitamant' timestamp='1340742899' post='19161']

As lanscapes photographer, I (logically) begun to chose my lenses, following the level of quality I wanted to reach. I've got a 2/24mm ZA, a 1,4/85mm ZA and plan to get a 8-16mm Sigma. Since there is a lot of uncertainty about the 24MP quality, does it worth better to get a A57 than an A77 ? The 16MP is known as a very good one.

Even I lose AF, these lenses with a Novoflex adapter (with aperture ring) on a Fuji X-Pro 1 seems to be an original way to get very good quality too.

What do you think about that ?

Regards.

JMi

[/quote]

I am personally underwhelmed by the Fuji X family. As to me they reveal that whilst Fuji has some good ideas about cameras that are slightly different, as a company they lack the technology to make the ideas really work.

I would suggest that you need to borrow or hire both the A77 and the Fuji for a week and really, really work them hard. Then go away and think about it and only then make a decision.
Thanks for the suggestion. What about the 16 or 24 MP sensor ? It seems that the 24MP sensor technology is not yet enough "mature"....
[quote name='jmfitamant' timestamp='1340812844' post='19202']

Thanks for the suggestion. What about the 16 or 24 MP sensor ? It seems that the 24MP sensor technology is not yet enough "mature"....

[/quote]

I read some 100 articles, checked for some 1.000 photos taken by A77's and A57's and then decided to sell my A55 and move to A57. It may not sound like a very wise move but now I am totally happy with my decision. The reason I ditched my A55 was the grip was so small to hold the camera and the shutter count was more than 30.000 in 1 year. The focusing is better than A55 and the battery life is way better.

Coming to your question... 24MP sensor size is the same in A57's and A55's. More pixels are squeezed in a small sensor which cause noise and it gets worse even after ISO-400! Therefore I can say that 24mp sensor is still not mature. On the other hand, 16mpix A55/a57/A580 sensors are much better. The noise is significantly less. The images are sharper. Focus peeking is better albeit focus points in A57 are less compared to A77.

A77's advantages are there are more cross-focus points, more focus points, an lcd screen on top (I wouldn't use it), 12fps shooting at full resolution. The shutter lag is lower, the flash lag is lower.

If I were chasing a sharper camera, I'd comfortably chose A57 instead of A77. I am expecting to see a newer version of A77 (maybe A79) next year with same resolution with a larger sensor. Then I may switch my A57 with it but as of today, A57 seems to be the smarter choice.
Hello JMi,

you are a landscape photographer? If you work with tripod, don't hesitate to buy a 24 MPix Sensor, it is very good at low ISO.

Why not buy a used A850 for almost the same money?

Most of your lenses are full frame, and the a850 will boost the quality of your zeiss lenses to a now level.

The shooting experience as well, in my opinion. Find a few more non-expensive lenses in missing focal lengths, such as Minolta 35 f2, Minolta 17-35 D or 24-105 (very good landscape lenses stopped down), Sony/Minolta 50 f2.8 or the Minolta 28-135, and you have a VERY high quality landscape equipment.

C.
[quote name='KursadSezgin' timestamp='1341164593' post='19262']

I read some 100 articles, checked for some 1.000 photos taken by A77's and A57's and then decided to sell my A55 and move to A57. It may not sound like a very wise move but now I am totally happy with my decision. The reason I ditched my A55 was the grip was so small to hold the camera and the shutter count was more than 30.000 in 1 year. The focusing is better than A55 and the battery life is way better.

Coming to your question... 24MP sensor size is the same in A57's and A55's. More pixels are squeezed in a small sensor which cause noise and it gets worse even after ISO-400! Therefore I can say that 24mp sensor is still not mature. On the other hand, 16mpix A55/a57/A580 sensors are much better. The noise is significantly less. The images are sharper. Focus peeking is better albeit focus points in A57 are less compared to A77.

A77's advantages are there are more cross-focus points, more focus points, an lcd screen on top (I wouldn't use it), 12fps shooting at full resolution. The shutter lag is lower, the flash lag is lower.

If I were chasing a sharper camera, I'd comfortably chose A57 instead of A77. I am expecting to see a newer version of A77 (maybe A79) next year with same resolution with a larger sensor. Then I may switch my A57 with it but as of today, A57 seems to be the smarter choice.

[/quote]
I think it was a wise move. I was just wondering whether someone could have the same thinking that me on that point. I agree about the qualities of the 16,1 MP sensor. Anyway, for landscape, shutter lag is not important, big number if cross focus either, nor 12fps... Then, I will choose the A57 until the time something better will come from Sony... Thanks for all.
[quote name='Clem' timestamp='1341244931' post='19272']

Hello JMi,

you are a landscape photographer? If you work with tripod, don't hesitate to buy a 24 MPix Sensor, it is very good at low ISO.

Why not buy a used A850 for almost the same money?

Most of your lenses are full frame, and the a850 will boost the quality of your zeiss lenses to a now level.

The shooting experience as well, in my opinion. Find a few more non-expensive lenses in missing focal lengths, such as Minolta 35 f2, Minolta 17-35 D or 24-105 (very good landscape lenses stopped down), Sony/Minolta 50 f2.8 or the Minolta 28-135, and you have a VERY high quality landscape equipment.

C.

[/quote]

Yes, I thought about a A900/850 which are in sales now. Very good options.

Thanks for all.