Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMC Pentax-K 135mm f/2.5
I've had this lens for a while now, and I've known it to be as sharp as [url="http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/143-pentax-smc-k-135mm-f25-review--lab-test-report"]the review here on Photozone[/url] says it is. Also, it's built like a tank, and the focus ring is perfectly damped and smooth of course. If only Pentax made this again with the same optical formula, just new elements of better glass to get the fringing under control, but it's not too bad, specially with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) being as good as it is now (CS5 and specially CS6).

As my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is acting a bit strange on the sharpness front, sometimes it's as it should be, other times its like its smeared or something, no sharp points really (does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I'm sending it in for a look), I decided to test the 135mm for paintball today (my first time with paintball) as it's not that fast moving most of the time. It worked well, was very sharp where focus hit and with the K-5 in which it's easy to see where focus hits, and the bokeh is very nice IMO. You'll see lines in the blur as I was outside the net of the game area, I didn't want to wear a mask and stand inside.

I'll be using this a lot more from now on. And I really want to test this with the K-30 and focus peaking in live view mode (with an LCDVF of course).

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.449740291717824.107267.328919443799910&type=1"]Here[/url] is my gallery from today. The first couple of pictures are from the Tamron 70-200, the close up of the guy getting hit in the face is from the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 (so is the picture of the dog), and the shot of the entire group resting and the one where he's measuring the speed of the balls is from the SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm f/2. All the rest is from the 135mm.

I'll test it on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III later when I get my adapter ring as a friend of mine has just gotten his Mark III. I'm betting it's as good there, maybe more vignetting, but still.

Here is a 100% crop straight from ACR, only contrast etc. is adjusted, no sharpening or noise reduction (it's taken by the K-5 of course):

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]