Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus tendency changes From tele side to wide side of nikkor 18-105
When my nikkor 18-105 lens adapted to my D90, it doesn't have any front or back focus tendency at the tele side (70-105mm), however, when it comes to the wide side, the lens shows an obvious front focus tendency, how can it happen?

btw: Tokina M35 pro focuses accurately on my D90, without any front or back focus tendency..So I think there should be something wrong with my 18-105 lens.
I find that focusing at the wide end tends to be less accurate (greater depth of field, smaller target on the auto focus module, etc.).

If you want, you can set your focus to single, zoom in to tele and focus, zoom out while holding the shutter down (so it doesn't refocus), and take your shot.

Or you can use the Live View AF.

The Tokina you mentioned is faster (less depth of field), and not considered wide on a crop sensor.
[quote name='edge' timestamp='1339859762' post='18926']

If you want, you can set your focus to single, zoom in to tele and focus, zoom out while holding the shutter down (so it doesn't refocus), and take your shot.

[/quote]

Is the 18-105 DX VR parfocal? Just wondering...
i had a tamron like this - i took it to the fixit-under-warranty shop and they tweaked it so that the micro focus (back/front focus) shift was the same for both the wide and long ends....but the lens was still soft at the long end.....which appears to be not such an unusual trait for many brands....sadly....i think
[quote name='edge' timestamp='1339859762' post='18926']

I find that focusing at the wide end tends to be less accurate (greater depth of field, smaller target on the auto focus module, etc.).

Or you can use the Live View AF.

The Tokina you mentioned is faster (less depth of field), and not considered wide on a crop sensor.

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, but the focus plane seems to be changed between the wide and tele side...But Live View AF can be a acceptable solution without consideration of speed..
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1339878381' post='18934']

i had a tamron like this - i took it to the fixit-under-warranty shop and they tweaked it so that the micro focus (back/front focus) shift was the same for both the wide and long ends....but the lens was still soft at the long end.....which appears to be not such an unusual trait for many brands....sadly....i think

[/quote]

I went to the nikon's service center but they say only the body could be adjusted...Maybe I should try again..