Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning: Lowepro bags with plastic carabiners
This is just a warning for anybody considering to buy a Lowepro holster bag with plastic carabiners. I just had one of these misconstructs come apart suddenly and without warning. The bag slipped from my shoulder and fell to the ground. Although I had extra padding in the bag, the UV filter on my lens broke and got stuck . The carabiner is by he way undamaged- it just came apart at the hinge. To be honest I already supected a decrease in durability when I saw Lowepro replacing their metal carabiners with plasic ones. I would not have thought though, that those carabiners are so poorly constructed that they just come apart without any abuse. So if you own one of these bags I advise you to replace the carabiners with metal ones or buy proper quality bags which come with decent buckles and carabiners
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1339262715' post='18807']

This is just a warning for anybody considering to buy a Lowepro holster bag with plastic carabiners. I just had one of these misconstructs come apart suddenly and without warning. The bag slipped from my shoulder and fell to the ground. Although I had extra padding in the bag, the UV filter on my lens broke and got stuck . The carabiner is by he way undamaged- it just came apart at the hinge. To be honest I already supected a decrease in durability when I saw Lowepro replacing their metal carabiners with plasic ones. I would not have thought though, that those carabiners are so poorly constructed that they just come apart without any abuse. So if you own one of these bags I advise you to replace the carabiners with metal ones or buy proper quality bags which come with decent buckles and carabiners

[/quote]

I have posted a review at Amazon explaining the Problem.

[url="http://www.amazon.de/review/R2SFYYUOPS4RK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00390JT1O&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag="]My link[/url]

There is also a photo to illustrate the problem. Lowepro so far has not cared to answer my email.
Here is an update on Lowepro customer support:

I finally received a reply from Lowepro late last week asking for photos of the carabiner and proof of purchase. After I had submitted all documents I today received a new Lowepro Zoom 50AW bag by priority mail and they also paid the full repair cost including the price of the new UV-filter to my account!

So in the end I have to compliment Lowepro's customer service!

There is however one thing that leaves a sour feeling:

When I looked at the replacement bag I discovered that Lowepro has changed the design of the carabiners. The new ones now sport a different hinge construction which looks more robust.This proves that Lowepro knew about the fault in their old construction, but they did not care to inform their customers and recall the bags. Since I bought the bag from Amazon it should not have been too difficult to get in touch and replace the bag long ago. At least they could have posted a warning on their website. After all, the new bag and the repair cost cannot make up for the photo opportunities I lost while my camera was broken (the accident happend during my holiday in Italy).

I am also not too happy that Lowepro evidently leaves quality control to their customers. The old hinge construction already looked quite flimsy so it should have been tested rigorously before making it to the market.