Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custard on my face??
Misunderstanding?

I think Nikon should take responsibility for a failing update. I was under the impression, the problems started after you updated fw? And even if the fw-update was not the reasonfor the motherboard/graphic-circuit failure: This camera is supposed to be a professional tool. Failing electronics in the first year of ownership without massive mistreatment is not my idea of a professional tool.

I could have sent it to wherever if I had had a response from Wowcamera or Priceminister for repair under guarantee if they replied to my mails.

If it hadn't been grey market Nikon would have repaired it! 

"Failing electronics in the first year of ownership without massive mistreatment is not my idea of a professional tool"

​   Electronics is something that has a statistic reliability, no one component can be guaranteed to be 100% reliable, resistors, capacitors, ICs and memory all have a statistical breakdown figure, as such that means that anything can happen!

I would be very surprised if digital Leicas are anything like as reliable as the old mechanical ones and won't command collector price because of it.

It will be interesting to see how many DSLRs will still be working in twenty years time?

I cited in an earlier thread that soon ML cameras with electronic shutters would have the benefit of no mechanical parts and as such be more reliable..........and ironically it was the electronics that blew on the D500!

Yeah, because the DSLR manufacturers don't know how to design proper electronics  <_<

:lol:

Dave, you nearly defend Nikon to rip you for a board which you haven't damaged - or I totally misinterprete your posts?  :wacko:

I think, they can treat grey market buyers a bit different, but they didn't stand aside when they cashed the money for those units sold grey. I expect them to treat their own failures equally, not matter if grey or white or black or red. Sure, failures can happen - but then somebody at Nikon's side of business was the source, not you.

The situation is what it is!

I just want my D500 back working!
I just wondered how you look like with custard on your face... I mean, is it really improving the impression?

:ph34r:

Recipe for egg custard and apple and blackberry pie!

First buy a can of English custard or a custard packet mix.

Separate the white of two eggs.........place in a small "dry" bowl.  (use dry utensils only)

Add three teaspoons of white sugar  to the egg white and whisk until thick stiff and fluffy.

Heat the canned custard gently on a low flame (do not boil)  and "fold" in the egg white without stirring, there should be nice mounds of egg white  in the custard.

Take the preheated blackcurrant pie out of the oven and serve up to the family,  generously pour on the egg custard.

While everyone is sat at table say "Grace to our father"  and "enjoy your meal" to the family.

Finally say "Amen" and suddenly  "slump forward" head down until your face makes full contact with your desert.

Lift your head slightly, just enough to be heard, then ask a family member to  fetch your Fuji X-2T, raise yourself up gently as not to disturb your "new look" and take a selfie for posterity.

Open in your favourite photo program and adjust colour/contrast settings to taste.

Post the result here on PZ in this very thread............

......and I will tell if you look like I feel!....  Tongue 

Bon apetit!

PS. As a boy my mother used to make this what we called egg custard, follow my instructions it's quick simple and delicious! 

Quote:I just wondered how you look like with custard on your face... I mean, is it really improving the impression?

:ph34r:

:lol:

Thanks for the recipe. Nice things like these - not a chance to be found at the surface of me. More inside...
  OK, just got an email from Nikon UK, hey they dealt with it quickly! 

Labour Charges Repair,

1.00hr.                                                                                   £82.17 

Parts Fitted 11V0R TFT MONITOR UNIT 1                                  Â£109.37 

Freight cost                                                                                        5.06

Items total                                                                                     191.54

Tax amount                                                                                      39.32

Invoice total                                                                                      235.92

New rear touch screen fitted...........Nikon charge  Â£82.17  per hour +VAT  ....... verging on £100 per hour!!

So it was the rear screen that died not the main board!... which made it less than the £320 quoted for the board. Grey market aside, I think this is a reasonable price for the work that has been done, plus the dreaded "value added tax"...  Do you know?  never in all the time I've been purchasing since the VAT introduction, have I found it to ever add any value whatsoever!

I'll pay by card and it will be sent off today!

In the meantime, my AF-S 16-85mm VRII  F3.5/5.6 has arrived, (found on the bon coin) hey it's a really nice little lens and seems well centered, considerably better than the plastic bayoneted  AF-S 18-105mm  VR F3.5-5.6, I have had two examples both de-centered.              

I feel like I walking around with my pants around my ankles without my D500!                                                                          
Quote: OK, just got an email from Nikon UK, hey they dealt with it quickly!

Labour Charges Repair,

1.00hr. £82.17

Parts Fitted 11V0R TFT MONITOR UNIT 1 £109.37

Freight cost 5.06

Items total 191.54

Tax amount 39.32

Invoice total 235.92

New rear touch screen fitted...........Nikon charge £82.17 per hour +VAT ....... verging on £100 per hour!!

So it was the rear screen that died not the main board!... which made it less than the £320 quoted for the board. Grey market aside, I think this is a reasonable price for the work that has been done, plus the dreaded "value added tax"... Do you know? never in all the time I've been purchasing since the VAT introduction, have I found it to ever add any value whatsoever!

I'll pay by card and it will be sent off today!

In the meantime, my AF-S 16-85mm VRII F3.5/5.6 has arrived, (found on the bon coin) hey it's a really nice little lens and seems well centered, considerably better than the plastic bayoneted AF-S 18-105mm VR F3.5-5.6, I have had two examples both de-centered.

I feel like I walking around with my pants around my ankles without my D500!
Good to hear your D500 is working nicely again.

I never saw any repairs charging less than an hour labor, even for minor repairs.

About 16-85, I tried it last week, the sample I had moist inside, so all the pictures had washed out contrast as if they were shot in foggy conditions, it needed cleaning, so it looks like it's prone to such problems. However as I know you, cleaning it should be an easy job for you
 Ugh, wet lenses, get out the vacuum cleaner and suck out the damp air!

I'm kinda getting fed up with the technical side of lenses, zooms especially....I like nice working ones!

But thanks!