Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I buy Canon EFs 17-55f2.8 again ?
Canon EFs 17-55f2,8 was and still is my preferred  lens, never let me down, always delivering excellent performance. Tried many others they slightly  beat it in some areas, however generally speaking this is the best lens I have used.

I own it since 2006 and since then it has been my main lens, it survived three camera bodies and took more than 200.000 pictures, I traveled a lot with it and it has been through very harsh conditions, now it's showing signs of deterioration from long heavy use, I think it did its job and it deserves retiring.

Should I buy it new again ?? or you have any other decent suggestion ?

Quote:Canon EFs 17-55f2,8 was and still is my preferred  lens, never let me down, always delivering excellent performance. Tried many others they slightly  beat it in some areas, however generally speaking this is the best lens I have used.

I own it since 2006 and since then it has been my main lens, it survived three camera bodies and took more than 200.000 pictures, I traveled a lot with it and it has been through very harsh conditions, now it's showing signs of deterioration from long heavy use, I think it did its job and it deserves retiring.

Should I buy it new again ?? or you have any other decent suggestion ?

What signs of deterioration does it show?

If it's nothing critical and if it's not broken then just keep on shooting it.

I have an old Tamron 17-50/2.8 that has been through countless backpacking trips and is definitely aging, but it still takes tack sharp photos.  And that's all that matters.
Well it is still good but it's starting to feel loose in my hands, with some cracking when zooming, it has done its expected job very well.  Lenses don't last forever.

I understand what do you mean. I have similar lens with similar experience - old Tamron 17-50/2,8 XR DI2. The lens starts to wear out, at the same time I sow second hand lens for 150Euro. The lens was in mint condition – the seller has switched from dSLR to mirrorless.

My suggestion – Buy the same again – remember never change the winning team.

Quote:My suggestion – Buy the same again – remember never change the winning team.

In consequence, that would mean keep the lens you already have, because that IS the team with the body. A new lens, although same specifications and type, could have centerring issues or other troubles one only can discover after the deal is done.

I would go as far to say: Buy ten identical 50 mm lenses and check AFMA, you will get 10 different values. So, if toni is happy with the lens' performance and handling, get a new one, but treat it as every new lens. It will not be the same like the existing one. The wear of 200k pictures (when do look at them again?) is nothing the new will have.
My Canon Powershot S30 was pretty "winning" at the time. Glad I have changed that "winning team", as things certainly have progressed! 

Even my Powershot S80 works fine! 

I was shocked to have learned about the AF inconsistency that is apparently innate to the 17-55... I would've shrugged it off as F.U.D., but it mirrors my own experience with the lens. Up until recently, I still had some abnormally blurred photos made with that lens (because I was not duly diligent when culling the photos the first time around). I blamed it all on the camera, the 30D which I hated anyways, but in hindsight... it may not have been entirely its fault, even though that behaviour continued with other lenses after the 17-55 went to the marketplace and never returned...

See the post by user "Archibald": https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/...1#14032601 and my reply on page 3.

On 30D never had the slightest AF problem. On 750D it was a nightmare with back focus in every shot, sent to AF calibration with camera much better but still slight back focus no issues at all with live view, no issues at all with 7D Witt AF compensation. I was considering getting a new one that would be perfect like was mine in 30D days.

Or should I ask the repairs for a slight AF adjustment -1 that would take a minute to be done (that he will do for free but I have to drive there in horrific traffic)
Interesting.  I just returned from a 7-week trip with my T6i and Canon 17-55/2.8.  A significant portion of my shots is front-focused.  Last year I took my T6i and Tamron 17-50/2.8 and again a significant amount of shots were front-focused.  This winter I was shooting with my T6i and Canon 55-250 mk1 and again some shots were inexplicably front-focused.  The effect is similar to that in the Fred Miranda link posted by Rover.

In the past I had a 7D which focused my Tamron 17-50 and Canon 55-250 perfectly, and front-focused my Canon 17-55 when focus was at infinity (headshots were fine).

All these lenses worked fine on my 400D.  I never had an issue.

All this has been very frustrating.  When you buy a new camera you think you are getting the latest and the greatest, but in terms of autofocus it has been a step backward each time for me.  I checked for firmware updates for my T6i but there are none (camera is running 1.0.0)

FWIW live-view gets focus dead-on every time but I hate using it